receptical

Old 02-27-04, 08:01 PM
annodms
Visiting Guest
receptical

I need to replace my bathroom lightswitch. Previous owner had dual switches and 1 outlet in same junction box. I do not want the outlet, just the dual switches.
I removed the black wire pigtail and 3 white wire pigtails. There are 4 wires coming into the box, 1 of the bathroom light, one for the bathroom fan, and I am assuming the other two complete the circuit. I shut off the power to the switch and of course several outlets are now out.
OK, here is the question. Since there are 4 black wires and 4 white wires, which do I connect to the new dual swich receptical and which do I connect?

I thought that I should put the black wire from the fan and the black wire from the overhead light on the dual swithch. The same with the white wires, one from the fan and one from the overhead light. Then do I join black to black and white to white for the remaining two black wires and two white wires?

Old 02-27-04, 10:54 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Black/white pair #1 is providing unswitched power.
Black/white pair #2 takes switched power to the light.
Black/white pair #3 takes switched power to the fan.
Black/white pair #4 takes unswitched power to other receptacles.

First, the easy part. Connect all four white wires to each other and to nothing else.

The rest is easy only if you remember exactly how the four black wires were previously connected. In the prior setup, only two of the black wires were connected to each other. Those were the black wires in pairs #1 and #4. If you still know which wires these are, then connect those two wires together and to a pigtail to the common screw (the one that has the tab connecting two screws together) on the duplex switch. The other two black wires (#2 and #3) connect to the other two screws on the duplex switch.

If you don't remember how it was before, then it's a lot more difficult. You can solve it by trial and error. Or if you own some test equipment, we can walk you through some tests.

Old 02-28-04, 06:12 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just remember, you need a receptacle outlet in the bathroom somewhere.

Old 02-28-04, 08:48 PM
annodms
Visiting Guest
John, I figured out the four pairs of wires and connected the two pairs to get the circuit back. Now the way I am understanding this is that the two black wires that I have already connected to complete the circuit need a pigtail to power the switches. I use a pigtail from the "hot" pair of black wires and put the pigtail on the connector side with the tab. The two black wires from the fan and light need to go to the opposite side of the switches to power the switches. All 4 white wires get connected together and pushed back into the box.

Before I try this, am I understanding what you said and what I have read in my basic wiring book today?

Also, I appreciate your help, Thank You.

Old 02-28-04, 09:13 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, you seem to have it (although some of your terminology is as confusing to me as I'm sure some of mine is to you).

Old 02-28-04, 09:33 PM
annodms
Visiting Guest
Thanks again John, I really appreciate your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: