Replacing combo light/outlet switch

Old 02-28-04, 09:50 AM
davis2114
Visiting Guest
Replacing combo light/outlet switch

We are trying to replace a combo switch in our bathroom but seem to be having trouble getting the wiring right. Unfortunately we didn't check the wiring before we took the old switch out which was also a combo.
The switch has an outlet and a switch that controls the bathroom light.
There are 2 sets of wires coming out of the box. Each set has 1 black wire and 1 white wire.
I think we go the part that we need to attach the black wires to the brass screws that connect to each other on the left side(top and bottom). What do we need to do with the 2 white wires. There is 1 silver screw on the right side of the outlet and the switch has another brass screw on the right side.
Hope I explained this properly.
Thanks in advance

Old 02-28-04, 09:57 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You want to replace a switch with a switch/receptacle combo? A switch/receptacle combo with a switch? Or a switch/receptacle combo with another switch/receptacle combo? Why?

Here's a procedure:[list=1][*]Use a circuit tester or voltmeter to figure out which black/white pair is the power feed and which goes out to the light. If you need help with this, let us know.[*]Connect the two white wires to each other, and to a pigtail to the silver screw on the receptacle side of the combo. If the device has two silver screws, you can instead just connect the two white wires to the two screws without a pigtail.[*]Connect power feed black to the "common" screw on the combo device. The "common" screw is one of the two screws that are connected to each other with a brass tab that you can see between the two screws.[*]Connect the remaining black to the brass screw on the other side of the switch (not one of the common screws).[/list=1]If you would prefer to figure out which black/white pair is which by trial and error, then that's okay. Simply arbitrarily decide that one cable is the power cable and connect as above. If, when you are finished, you find that the receptacle is switched and you don't want it to be, then reverse the two black wires.

But why are you doing this project?

Old 02-28-04, 10:09 AM
davis2114
Visiting Guest
Thanks for answering so fast
We are replacing a combo with another combo simply for decorating reasons. We did some remodeling and the old switch was an ugly beige color and we want to replace it with a white one.
It is actually my husband who is doing the job but I get to do the posting!!!
Well he read your directions and it worked perfectly....thank you so much...He says he owes you a beer....and I get to have light in my bathroom again!!!

Old 02-28-04, 10:16 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Good show!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: