Wiring light - were did I go wrong?

Old 02-29-04, 09:08 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring light - were did I go wrong?

Hi,

After picking up a wiring book, I've been wiring some outlets w/ success. I wanted to rewire a light, I thought I did it right but the book isn't completely clear on how to do this particular run.

Here's the overview - I have a circuit directly from the panel into box next to a light. That light is controlled by a switch (2 pole). What I want to do is to split that incoming line so I can wire a couple of other outlets on the same circuit. Right now everything is 12/2 (romex). I'll leave ground out of what I did. IN=the live coming in, LIGHT=the wiring for the light, SWITCH=line going to the switch, OUT=line going to outlets. Here's how I wired:

LIGHT White - IN Black
IN White - SWITCH White - OUT White
LIGHT Black - OUT Black - SWITCH Black

So what happens in this setup is that when I turn the circuit on, and flip the light switch on, the light goes on, but the power to the outlets is off. When I switch the light off, the light is off but the power to the outlets is on. What I'm looking for is power to the outlets always on, light is controlled by the switch.

Thanks for any help!

Bob the Wiring Rookie

Old 02-29-04, 09:22 AM
R
What you have created is a very dangerous situation. You are switching the return line, which is wrong. You also have no power going to the outlet, despite whatever you are using to test that.

You want to connect your wires so that the incoming hot wire (black) is switched going to the light, and alwasys hot going to the outlets.

Connect as follows:

IN white - LIGHT white - OUT white (these are returns).
IN black - SWITCH white - OUT black (these are always hot)
SWITCH black - LIGHT black (this is switched hot)

Old 02-29-04, 09:29 AM
B
Thanks for the input, I'll correct the problem right away!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: