hot light to switched light

Old 02-29-04, 11:35 AM
forkylee
Visiting Guest
hot light to switched light

I have an always hot, self-switched light fixture in the wall. I want to put two can lights in the ceiling controlled by a switch at the original wall fixture location.

Pulling wire, installing boxes and basic connections are no problem but I need a wiring map/schematic to have both lights on the switch.

Thanks

Old 02-29-04, 12:04 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the existing wiring is 14 gauge wire use 14-2 wire. If the existing wiring is 12 gauge wire use 12-2 wire.

Install the switch in place of the existing wall fixture. Run your new wire from the wall location to the first light. At the wall location connect the two white wires together using a wire nut. Connect the existing black wire to one side of the switch. Connect the new black wire to the other side of the switch. The switch also needs to be connected to the metal box, assuming the box is grounded.

At the first light add a wire to the second light. At each light connect the black wires together to the black feed for the light. Connect the white wires together and to the white feed for the light. Likewise the ground wires, which also get connected to the metal box.

Old 02-29-04, 01:32 PM
forkylee
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: