Wiring layout

Old 03-01-04, 07:24 PM
uprichard
Visiting Guest
Wiring layout

I am new to the USA (from England) and I am trying to understand the basics of the electric wiring here.

In England we use Ring mains for sockets & radial layouts for lights. Is it the same in the USA?

Thanks,

Old 03-01-04, 07:56 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I can only guess as to what your terminology means. Most everything here is wired in a daisy-chain manner, outlet to outlet to outlet. I think this may be what you are calling "ring". What you are calling "radial" is, I believe, seldom used. At any rate, these issues are not a matter of code but simply a matter of convention and person preference by the electrician.

Old 03-02-04, 10:03 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
One really, really, really big difference. In a UK 'ring main', the conductors loop around and _return_ to the breaker box. This means that from every outlet, there are _two_ possible paths of supply.

In NEC land, I beleve that this sort of connection is implicitly prohibited. (I don't ever recall a mention of ring main type circuits in the NEC, but they would essentially be parallel conductors of different lengths and small diameter following different paths.)

Wiring on this side of the pond us usually 'daisy chained' as John puts it; think of a ring main type connection but with one of the links back to the source broken. 'Spurs' are often commonly used and acceptable, as are multiple spurs upon spurs.

This UK diy site is quite interesting:
http://www.diydata.com/planning/ring_main/ring_main.htm

-Jon

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: