Adding a light/wires to a closed wall

Old 03-02-04, 11:21 AM
dc3
Visiting Guest
Adding a light/wires to a closed wall

I need to add a light to a to back entrance area of my house. I want to place it right above were the back door swings. There is already a box with romex and a single switch to power a back porch light in the right place. What I want to do is somehow get 2 more wires from that box up to the attic.

The question is, is it possible to get a drill bit extention long enough to drill from the existing box up to the attic or do I need to break the wall in several places to drill through those cross supports between the studs. If I need to break it how do I know where the best place to break is?

Old 03-02-04, 01:32 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can get drill bit extensions as long as you like. Drill to China if you want. Just keep hooking the segments together.

Old 03-02-04, 02:17 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When running wires, do not assume that the shortest distance is also the easiest distance.

Sometimes it is easier to make a longer wire run, perhaps in your case going down to the basement and then up to the attic in some other location.

What may be the easiest and shortest run when the walls are open may be difficult to navigate when the walls are in place, especially if you are not familiar with how the house was constructed.

Last edited by racraft; 03-03-04 at 05:07 AM.
Old 03-02-04, 06:08 PM
jlbos83
Visiting Guest
Sometimes drilling down from the attic is a plan, too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: