Pair of Meters

Old 03-04-04, 05:58 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pair of Meters

Am going to be adding an air/con system to an old addition (enclosed porch 45' X 19' and need another 200 amp service panel (old one is completely full since am also going to build a substantial addition (2 1/2 baths. air con, laundry room) that will need a lot of power.

Looking at a quote for $2700 to convert a meter and service from 200 amp to 400 amp. (way to much for us)

I think it is much cheaper for me to add a new 200 amp panel and meter box and get "double metered". Looking at doing it myself.
From what I gather, it'll cost another $24.60 per month as the incremental cost of having another meter.

My dilemma: I want to add new 200 amp panel (exterior) and meter box, but want both old and new meters at the same general location.

The addition will be a run of 80'. The power company says they'll do the parts and labor from the transformer to the meter box. Can I make a 180 degree bend from the top of the meter box to an adjacent service panel?

Copper or aluminum to the new addition?

Hope I haven't looked too stupid or unclear here. Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-04, 08:26 PM
P Michael
Visiting Guest
Generally only one service is allowed to a residence. Correct me if I am wrong.

Why a 180 bend. Why not a straight shot. like a nipple?

[ = Alt + 167]

~Peter

Old 03-05-04, 09:38 AM
P
The location of the existing Service Dis-connect is important. Art 230.40, Exception #2 reads--------"Where (2) S-D's in seperate enclosures are GROUPED TOGETHER AT ONE LOCATION and supply seperate loads,------- (seperate) Service-Entrance Conductors shall be permitted-------"

You could "parallel" the existing 200-amp Service with a 2nd. 200-amp Service if the Dis-Connect for the new Service is located "side-by-side" with the Dis-Connect for the existing Service.

If this is feasible, the next step is to refer the proposed installation to both the Utility Co and the NEC Code-Enforcing Authority for their repective approvals.

Perhaps you could submit to this Forum a description of the "lay-out" of the existing Service and we may be able to provide more specific advise.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-05-04, 10:07 AM
H
PATTBAA

Thanks so much for your great reply. It was most interesting and helpful.

BTW: Its an old house and more than 4400 sq ft. adding another 1320 and according to my load calculations after a little research we will have exceeded the 200 amp panel.

Old 03-05-04, 10:16 AM
H
PATTBAA,

Pole and Transformer

46' underground to meter box on side of house

meter box rear to indoor 200 amp panel.

Telephone, cable and 5 ton aircon compressor within 5 ft.

My current thought: Put another meter next to the existing one and run 80' of cable to a new service panel, or put a new outdoor service panel next to the new meter for old addition needs and run a set of wires directly off the "bus" to a new panel for the new future addition (5 months to start).

Thanks

hopro, Deland Fl

Old 03-05-04, 10:53 AM
M
If the second meter really costs $24.60 per month more than a single meter with 400A service, it wouldn't take too long (at $300 per year) to pay back the incremental cost of the 400A upgrade.

Old 03-05-04, 11:25 AM
P
Possibly this could be accomplished using one enclosure. This is an out-door enclosure rated at 400 amps that is equipped with a meter-socket and two 2-pole 200 amp C-B's which are the Service-Disconnects.

You will have to "Engineer" two external connections to the new enclosure---- (1),the Service raceway and the utility conductors,and (2), the Feeder conductors from the new enclosure to the existing Service panel.