location of wall switches

Old 03-04-04, 07:29 PM
matkinusa1
Visiting Guest
location of wall switches

I am making up a rough drawing for a room addition before getting bids, and am trying to figure out the doors and light switch placement. I have a few questions. I realize that codes vary area to area. But what about the national codes or generally accepted practices.

1. Will a wall light switch fit in a wall that contains a pocket door, the door will be behind the switch.?
2. How close to a door edge are you allowed to put a wall light switch.
3. How close to a inside corner are you allowed to place a wall light switch.

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-04, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1. Usually not.
2. As close as you want.
3. As close as you want.

Old 03-04-04, 09:21 PM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
#2. Just don't forget to allow enough room for your door casing. Remember, your plate will overlap the box some.

Old 03-22-04, 08:26 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Does this apply to outlets as well?
Can I mount an outlet box (4x4" with 1 outlet and 1 switch) off the floor..by say a foot or less?
My plan is to run 14/2 cable along a 12' wall (side of house) to the adjacent wall (front of the house) to accomodate an outlet on that wall with another line feeding thru the wall to an exterior receptical controlled by a switch on the inside. So the switch will control the exterior outlet, and the interior outlet will be live. Is this acceptable? Sounds ok to me.
This 'new' line, will be connected to an existing outlet on that 12' wall...as there are only 2 outlets on this circuit..and only one of them is in use..to control a table lamp. Under-usage of this 15A circuit. This should be ok, isnt it?
Relating to the running of this 'new' line... Im assuming that it is permissible to run that new line thru the corner studs.. (90 degrees).. A little tricky..but need to get the line to that wall.
Sounds Ok?
Thanks in advance