repairing broken wire at switch box

Old 03-05-04, 01:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
repairing broken wire at switch box

romex white wire has broken off at the access point where the wire is coming into the box. Reconnecting with wire nut is not an option because I only have less than half an inch to work with. Is there any way I could some how "pull" on the wire to get more wire to work with or is this a bad idea. I'm trying to find some way to do this without having to take the box out which would mean damaging the drywalls around it.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-04, 03:55 AM
You may have no simple solution. If there is an attic above this room, you could see if you are lucky enough to find that the wire come down from the attic (or up from the basement or crawl space). Or you could install another box in the direction that this cable comes from (which is not that easy to figure out).

Drywall repair isn't that hard. It's always a skill you wanted to learn anyway, right?

Old 03-05-04, 05:34 AM
Unless there is slack in the wire, you will have to either replace the cable back to the next junction box, or put in a junction box and add one new section of cable.

You will have to determine where the cable goes and determine the solution that makes the most sense.

Old 03-05-04, 11:51 AM
An "in-Line" crimp-sleeve MAY be a solution if there is sufficient space for the cimp-tool.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Expeience!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-05-04, 12:11 PM
Thanks everyone for responding.

I guess there's no easy solution to this. I'm having an electrician come over and inspect the situation. I'm usually a diy-er, but in this case, I don't think there's room for an error.

I'll let you know how it comes out!

Old 03-05-04, 05:25 PM
Question

Well, my home warranty (AHS) won't cover the repair so the electrician left without doing any work. So, I've decided do the repair myself and I was wondering if anyone can provide me some advice or perhaps precautionary measurements I should take.

The electrician said that he would drill a small opening on our front porch stucco and feed the wire to the box and cover the opening with weather-proof plate(?). Do I just reconnect the wires using wire nuts?

Old 03-05-04, 05:33 PM
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
It's not usually that difficult to remove the box. A hacksaw blade slipped between the box and the stud should be able to cut any fastener and then push the box back into the hole. I would get the box out and then you will be able to see where the wire is going. You can not make a connecting that is not in a box. The solution might be to move the box up 6 inches and then patch the old hole.

Old 03-05-04, 06:08 PM
That's an idea I hadn't thought about. I just might go with that idea. It's probably easier to patch drywalls than to patch stuccos, right?

I guess I should first check to see whether any of the wires coming into the box are coming up from the bottom in which case it'll shorten the length of some other wires. Looking into the box, all of the wires are coming into the holes on the top of the box, so it looks like they are all feeding from the top, but I guess one can't never be sure.

Thanks!

Old 03-07-04, 02:30 AM
Thanks everyone for kind suggestions and advices.

I did it! I moved the switch box up about 6 inches as suggested. The only difficulty I ran in to was to re-attach the box to the stud because I only cut out the drywall big enough to move the box up so I didn't have enough room to hammer in the nails on the box to the stud. I just used Liquid Nail instead.

Now, I just need to texturize and repaint the patched wall.

Old 03-22-04, 08:01 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Just curious.. to the pro's. Is the 'Liquid Nails' fix permissable by code? - or shouldnt that matter? That stuff is pretty tight..