reversing a 1/3 hp AC motor

Old 03-05-04, 09:58 AM
fabman
Visiting Guest
reversing a 1/3 hp AC motor

hi,
how do you reverse an electric motor? i tried wiring it different but it still went in the same direction.
there are 4 wires coming out of the motor. it runs on either 110 or 220 v.

Old 03-05-04, 10:22 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If it's a single phase motor, you can't. You can reverse a three-phase motor by switching any two of the leads.

Old 03-05-04, 10:41 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This advise presumes the 4 leads are divided into 2 leads that connect to the Sarting winding & 2 leads that connect to the Running.The Starting & Running windings are connected in parallel across the Line.

With S1 & R1 connected to L1, and S2 & R2 connected to L2, the rotation is C-W. (note the 4-lead connection to L1 & L2).

The roation is reversed by (S2 OR R2) to L1 and (S1 OR R1) to L2. PLease note the OR!!!The motor is reversed by "reversing" the Line-connections of either the Starting-winding OR the Running-winding, but not BOTH windings.

IF the leads are not identified,You'll need to identify the Running winding using a continuity-tester/ohm-meter. The testers "see" the Running winding as a "short-circuit" ( near-Zero Ohms)

The Starting winding MAY be in series with a capacitor which is a "open" circuit for a battery-powered tester. If not, you'll also read near-Zero Ohms for the Starting winding.

Perhaps you could attempt this testing-procudure and submit a "report" of what you determined.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 03-05-04, 07:32 PM
fabman
Visiting Guest
i did what you said Pattbaa, but i didnt have an ohm meter. anyway, i hooked it up like you said and then some. i wired it as many different ways as i could keep track of. it either ran CCW nice and smooth, or CCW rough and noisey, or did nothing.

i dont know, maybe it was never meant to run CW or its too old

it had 4 wires for sure, 3 that looked kinda yellowish or gold and one black. the wires had cloth type insulation

thanks folks, for the replies

mike

Old 03-06-04, 11:56 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Any AC motor can be made to run the opposite direction. Some are just easier to do than others.
If you go to this site and find the type of motor you have it will show the windings that need to be reversed to change motor direction.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: