diesel ghenerator using #2 heating oil

Old 03-05-04, 11:43 AM
skzekeman
Visiting Guest
diesel ghenerator using #2 heating oil

I do'nt know if this is the right forum for this but here goes anyway.

I was wondering if any code (fire,electrical or plumbing) would permit tapping into the heating oil tank to use it for fueling a diesel emergency generator to be located in a cellar.

Probably not but I would like your comments nevertheless.

Thank you .

Old 03-05-04, 12:31 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: skzekeman

I would highly suggest contacting the local building and safety departments in your town or area. Maybe the codes enforcement office also. Dpending upon how the city or country list these offices. Also a licensed plumber. Plumbers know the local codes.

Seems to me there will be plenty of codes to adhere to. Mostly due to the purposed installation location more so than tapping into the fuel supply line, etc.

Also into any existing electrical system. Plus the venting of the exhaust fumes. A whole host of complications may exist. The local electrical company will also have to be notified. Many rules apply to backup gens installed into electric companies systems at the house or place of residence or business.

There is a whole host of complicated systems required to insure the gen does not backflow current into the electrical power lines or system during power outages too.

During the power outages electric company service employees are working on the lines. They must be protected from power in the lines of which is unknown to them and present in the lines. Also the source of that power.

Their safety and injuries are your responsibility for which you can be held liable for if the codes are not followed or there is protection equipment failures. Inquire before installation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: