Living Room ceiling fan and light

Old 03-06-04, 11:42 AM
shade723
Visiting Guest
Living Room ceiling fan and light

We have a problem that we cant seem to figure out. The ceiling fan light fixture in our living room has gone haywire. The fan portion of the fixture still works but the lights quit working for some reason. There are 3 bulbs in the fixture and all 3 are new flouresent bulbs so they are not blown.

I checked the wiring in the mount to make sure one of the wires didnt come loose and they are still together. We also have a light fixture in our foyer that quit working also and those wires are still connected. Do you know what might be wrong. Should we get someone out here to check the fixtures or is there something that I can do.

Old 03-07-04, 10:51 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would just make sure that the bulbs are not the problem. Replace one with an incandescent bulb and try again. If it still doesn't work, you might check your breakers. I would find it very odd that the fan was on a different circuit than the lights, but stranger things have happend. If still no go, then you might call in an eletrician if you do not feel comfortable doing opening switches and fixtures and testing circuits.

Scott E.

Old 03-07-04, 12:19 PM
shade723
Visiting Guest
I got myself a meter at Lowes after talking to one of the lighting experts there. I checked the switches first and they are working fine. Then I checked the light sockets and they are not getting any power according to the meter. It looks like we may have to replace the whole light fixture.

Old 03-07-04, 01:42 PM
wires do not have to be physically apart to not be electrically connected. You might check the wirenuts and the wires going to them. What is the age of your wiring (describe it a little to us). Also, there are two "hot" connections in the juction box: one for the fan, and one for the light. These may or may not be connected together depending on if the fan and light operate on separate wall switches, or the fan can be run anytime while the light is controlled by a wall switch. We might need to know a little more info to help.

Scott E.

Old 03-08-04, 01:39 PM
shade723
Visiting Guest
The house is fairly brand new. It is only 5 yrs old. The fan and light have seperate switches on the wall panel.

Old 03-10-04, 07:15 PM
you said that you have a meter. Have you checked the voltage between the blue and white wire in the ceiling box of the fan?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: