wiring

Old 03-07-04, 09:18 AM
milkdude1967
Visiting Guest
wiring

In my three bedrooms I have no lights. The light switch is hooked to turn on the top portion of the outlet I want to change this and add a light what do I need to do

Old 03-07-04, 10:22 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First, you need to determine how the outlets are wired.

Most likely the power comes into each room and goes to the switch. At the switch the hot wire is switched. Coming from the switch would be 12-3 or 14-3, going to the first outlet, then to the second outlet, etc. The black wire is usually always hot while the red wire is switched. The white wire carries the return current.

With thwe above setup, you can make any each receptacle outlet always on, always switched, or split. The outlets do not all have to be configured the same.

If the above is your setup, then to add a ceiling light you need to run a wire to a ceiling box. Because of the wiring, you can run this new wire from the switch or from any of the outlets.

After confirming the aboce wiring and running a new wire, connect the new wire to the white wire and to the switched wire. At the light connect the new light to the switched hot and return wires. Also connect the grounds at each end.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: