wiring a motor to a drum switch

Old 03-07-04, 06:15 PM
fabman
Visiting Guest
wiring a motor to a drum switch

sorry for bugging everyone again. I chucked that old motor, and found a better, stronger craftsman two shafted 1/2 hp motor.

anyway, it has a cover plate on the end and inside there are two terminals with yellow wires attached. one is marked 2 and the other marked 4. on the main craftsman logo plate on the front of the motor it says to reverse the motor, switch the yellow leads around. [i wish the other motor were that easy]. also there is an on/off switch on the motors' cradle, w/2 wires going to it.

so in comes the drum switch. i found one in my collection of stuff and decided to mount it. it has 6 terminals numbered 1-6.

i really want to do this myself, but dont want to fry something in the process.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

mike

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-04, 08:31 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is the drum-switch designed for "Off"- "Forward"- "Reverse" operation?

Old 03-08-04, 02:22 PM
fabman
Visiting Guest
yes, forward, off, reverse

six terminals, like this;

1 2

3 4

5 6

theres two black wires coming out of the bottom of the motor.

the black power cord wire goes to the switch, the white power cord wire goes to one of the black wires coming out of the motor, then the other black wire coming out of the motor goes to the other terminal of the switch.

like in the other post, inside the little cover on the end of the motor, there are two yellow wires conected to terminals.
to reverse the motor, it says to switch them

thanks, mike

Old 03-08-04, 03:25 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You need to determine the switching-action of this contol using a continuity-tester, and make an accurate record of the results.

There may be two "common" terminals, each "common" terminal switched to a "Forward" terminal or to a "Reverse" terminal----- C1 to F1 & C2 to F2 ("Forward) , then C1 to R1 and C2 to R2 ("Reverse")----- note the 6-terminal designations------ C1, C2, F1,F2, R1,R2.

Using the numbers, "Forward" could be 3-to-1 and 4-to-2 and "Reverse" could be 3-to-5 and 4-to- 6. Note that 3 & 4 are the "C" terminals.

So make yourself comfortable, take your time, initiate a through test-precedure, and submit the result.Also--- try your hand at drawing a schematic of the control.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!!

Old 03-09-04, 12:29 PM
fabman
Visiting Guest
Success! it didnt come easy though. i spoke to one of the dads in cub-scouts, an electritian, he sruggled with it a little, but got it.
i though i was lame, but seeing him have a tough time figuring it out made me feel a little better about myself.

thanks for the help pattbaa, and others

mike