change 50 amp service to 100 or 150 amp

Old 03-07-04, 08:11 PM
H
hartman
Visiting Guest
change 50 amp service to 100 or 150 amp

I am purchasing a home and it was built in 1962. The home has i'm guessing a 50 amp fuse box service. I am wanting to know what is the limit of service amp breaker box I should get to start this project? I plan to do as much as I can myself, then call an electrician to check my work and move the wires. I will try to hang the box and then call the electrician to save some money.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-04, 08:32 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
On what are you basing your guess of a 50-amp box? Might be worth it to find out for sure. Once you find out, you might ask an electrican to do a demand load calculation for you. Could be that no upgrade is necessary.

Before considering any upgrade, you should first talk with your power company, since they will likely need to support the upgrade, possibly by upgrading their side of the equipment. After you talk with the power company, you will of course also need to talk with your building department. Many, but not all, areas will allow you to do this work yourself (sometimes with conditions), but most areas will require a permit. The city will probably neither require nor be satisfied by having an electrician check your work. They will send a city inspector to check it. Finally, find an electrician to work with, and find out how he/she wants to arrange the work. Many electricians may refuse to finish the job if you started it without talking to them first. If you do not have considerable electrical experience, you may want to consider letting the electrician do all the work. The electrician may charge you extra for your "help".

Many people feel that if you're going to the trouble of an upgrade, you should go all the way to 200 amps. However, if the square footage is small and the major appliance are all gas, then that is probably overkill.

Old 03-08-04, 12:09 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I go to 200 when I do them. I agree with John about it being overkill but what I like about it is that the poco has to bring in a better wire for 200. Doesnt cost you much and puts that burden on them. I see upgrades all the time where they left the old 60A serv wire when going to 100, really not so good especially when the runs are long. If you want AC or hot tub in the future its already done.