Ned to add outlet, but don't want it switched?

Old 03-12-04, 08:32 AM
markkidd
Visiting Guest
Need to add outlet, but don't want it switched?

I hope this wasn't answered already, I searched but only found one post and the guy never responded back...

I am installing a projector for a church. I need power to the install spot. The problem is its an old A-Frame building with no above access to that area. The spot is 35 feet off the floor and 100 to the closest non-switched outlet. However, there are ceiling fans running through the middle, and I am pulling one down to install the projector in that spot. My question is can I add an outlet there pulling power from the other ceiling fans without it being on their switch? This is the last ceiling fan in the series. There are black, white and ground wires.

Thanks!

Mark

Last edited by markkidd; 03-12-04 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-12-04, 09:24 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The answer is no. The black wire (the hot wire) is switched. It likely comes from the previous fan in the line, etc., all the way back to the first fan and possibly also to the switch. The only solution is to run a new cable

Now the other part of the problem.

Churches are not residential buildings. There are very different requirements for running wires in churches than for running the same gauge wire in houses. Unless you are a licensed electrician (which it doesn't sound like you are) you probably cannot even legally do this sort of work. Plus there is the liability issue.

Don't do this work yourself. Hire it out to a licensed and insured electrical contractor.

Old 03-12-04, 09:52 AM
markkidd
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your post. I didn't think there was a way to do that but I am also just a novice. No I don't plan on doing the work myself, they apparently have a licensed electrician in the church.

Thanks

Old 03-12-04, 08:11 PM
lagunavolts
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb need to add an outlet but don't want it switched...

Depends how the fan is wired. Is there a three wire feeding the fan for independent fan/light control?

More info is needed.

Old 03-12-04, 11:42 PM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
Sounds like just a two wire with only a black, white, and ground. Like Bob said, you'd need to run a new cable unless you've got some more wires in there you haven't mentioned.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: