Old Cutler Hammer Enclosed Branch Circuit Cutoff

Old 03-14-04, 01:57 PM
TAS
Visiting Guest
Old Cutler Hammer Enclosed Branch Circuit Cutoff

I have a problem with one of my glass fuses. I am using 4 - 30 amp fuses because the label on the circuit box (see link below for pictures) states 4 circuits 30 AMP 125-250 volts. One of the circuits in my house keeps losing power (about once every couple of weeks) but the fuse related to that circuit does not actually blow out it just gets warm. I just unscrew it and then screw it back in and the power comes back on. But last night, when I did that, I could see little sparks come from hole when I was trying to screw the fuse back in. My solution was to trade fuses with one of the other three and then it screwed back in with no sparks or problems. I am sure you are all cringing at my solution to this problem, but short of re-wiring my entire house what is the safe way to remedy this situation so I don't burn down my house.
My 1000 sq ft house was built in 1952 (no grounded outlets either)and I live in California.
Here is a picture of my circuit box:
My Circuit Box Pictures

Old 03-14-04, 02:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The 4circuits, 30amp sticker is a rating which is stating the maximum current each circuit can carry at 125/250 volts. From the picture it looks like you have 30 amp fuses in the 2 lower & upper left positions and one 20amp in the top right. If this is the case then you may be overfusing with the three 30amp fuses.This is a very dangerous situation & must be adressed. Its very difficult to explain without 1st seeing the inside of the panel & the condition of the wires inside.

Old 03-14-04, 02:22 PM
If the circuit that blew originally had a 15 or 20 amp fuse in it it should be replaced with the same size. DO NOT replace it with a larger size {30 amp}.Can you tell how many wire are going into the fusebox {I only see one}? Chances are its more than the box is meant to hold,which means the fuses have wires doubled or even tripled up.

Old 03-14-04, 02:27 PM
You probably don't need the whole house rewired but I would definitely get estimates on a new electrical service. A typical 100 amp service change in my area will cost between $600-$700.

Old 03-14-04, 02:34 PM
I don't see a problem with what you did as long as you switched a 30a fuse with another 30a fuse. Perhaps the fuse itself is intermittant. If the intermittant power problem moves to another circuit then you for sure have a fuse problem. If the same circuit still goes dead with a different fuse installed then you have a problem with the house wiring or with the fuse box itself.

Old 03-14-04, 06:16 PM
TAS
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much for your responses. I just called an electrician for an appointment to come over. I did not realize how dangerous this is because it has been working for me for the 11 years that I have lived here. There is only one wire going into the box and it looks very old and worn. I am surprised it has held up this long.
Thanks again for taking your time to answer my question.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: