Drafty electrical panel

Old 03-14-04, 05:42 PM
sajo
Visiting Guest
Drafty electrical panel

I have a drafty electrical panel which is located in my basement. Looked inside and saw minor rusting throughout the box. There was no noticble corrosion on the breakers. When it is hot/humid there is sometimes condensation on the inside of the panel door. No moisture when it rains, so I think it is only from the air getting into the cooler basement.

Should I be overly concerned about the rust? Can I plug the conduit with fiberglass insulation from the inside? I do plan on caulking all around my meter from the outside.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-04, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How old is the panel? Is the service cable or conduit takiing on water.Reason for asking this is that an improperly installed servicehead will allow water to run into the conduit or outer jacket of the cable.The conduit or outer jacket will act as channel & the water will drip directly into the meterbox & possibly into the panel.I would fill the hloe for the conduit entrance with "Greatstuff"{or similar} on the inside & silcone caulk on the outside. If you are certain its humidity I would get a dehumidifier for the basement.Hope this helps.

Old 03-18-04, 08:01 PM
sajo
Visiting Guest
The panel is the original installed and is 10 years old. The service is via underground cable, so there does not appear to be any water coming in from that point.

Can I put "Greatstuff" into the conduit from inside the service panel?

Thanks.

Old 03-20-04, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does the conduit enter the panel from the top, bottom or side? Can you see water in the conduit? The Gr-8stuff will work but if the rust is thruout the panel {not only on the bottom} it sound like a humidity problem.

Old 03-20-04, 01:03 PM
sajo
Visiting Guest
The conduit enters the service panel from the top and there is no noticable water in the conduit. The entire service panel is rusty, but more on the bottom than anywhere else.