Bath fan/lite over tub

Old 03-14-04, 04:54 PM
BrettD
Visiting Guest
Angry Bath fan/lite over tub

O.K., I'm in a sort of pickle here and need the honest to goodness truth about this. Several years ago my wife and I remodelled our main bath, which had but the minimum venting allowed, a window. We live in Wisconsin where it is not convenient nor advisable to open the window each time we take a shower or bath. I installed (ignorantly) a ceiling fan/light in the ceiling above the tub/shower to expedite the removal of moisture from the room. Now we are in the process of moving and I am wondering if the home inspector will most likely call attention to this as a safety concern. What recourse do I have in remedying this situation? I really don't want to have to move the unit.

Old 03-14-04, 05:38 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How high is the ceiling, and is the unit on a GFCI protected circuit?

Old 03-14-04, 06:13 PM
BrettD
Visiting Guest
Cool

Bob: The ceiling is a standard 8' high jobber and the circuit to the fan is NOT GFI. I used an existing line that used to power a flourescent fixture above a suspended ceiling system in this bath. We took down the ceiling (suspended one) and removed the light fixtures (there were two 48" double-tube jobs up there. I DID install GFCI outlets where their proximity was within 48" of the sink and/or shower. The light switch is more than 60" from the tub/shower unit. I'm looking for a cost-effective way of remedying this situation. Could the whole shebang be controlled by a GFI breaker back at the service panel?

Old 03-14-04, 06:32 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is the light/fan directly above the tub/shower? Exactly where it is?

All receptacles in a bathroom must be GFCI protected, regardless of where they are relative to the sink or tub.

My recommendation would be to ignore this until you get an offer. If the buyer gets a home inspector and the home inspector recommends mediation, then do whatever the inspector says at that time.

Old 03-14-04, 06:40 PM
BrettD
Visiting Guest
The fan/light comb is directly over the tub/shower!

Old 03-14-04, 06:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is nothing in the NEC regarding this installation...except that we must follow manufacturer's instructions.
Pretty much every maker requires their fans be GFI protected when installed over a shower or tub.
A $35 GFI breaker sounds like an easy solution... IF an inspector recommends it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: