Log cabin electrical recepticle question (plug outlets)

Old 03-14-04, 07:24 PM
brian64
Visiting Guest
Log cabin electrical recepticle question (plug outlets)

The log cabin I'm wiring is all set up to feed wires through the logs vertically, in channels. I'm trying to figure out how to cut out the light switch and recepticle boxes in the logs and I'm not finding much info in the cabin manual. It mentions "mortice hole for outlet box" in the diagram, like I'm supposed to make one, but I don't know how to make one.

There's also a note that when morticing holes, it's recommended that the box be located in the center of the log. So what I need to know is how to mortice a hole for these recepticles. And what tools I would need...etc. I can't find any info on the net though, when I searched.

Old 03-14-04, 07:45 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Two thoughts.[list=1][*]The TV show Hometime did a series of log cabin shows where they did exactly what you described. You can purchase the show tapes at www.hometime.com (4-tape set is $32.45)[*]A chisel is the normal tool for making a mortise. You can reduce the chiseling by drilling a bunch of holes first.[/list=1]

Old 03-14-04, 08:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
OK,Here goes.

A log cabin is NOT an undertaking for the inexperienced! It is ALOT of work and can be very tedious. Many standard wiring methods can't be used and you have to plan your runs very differently sometimes.
I have done probably 10 in the past 10 years.
Knowing tips and tricks can save you and if you mess up there is no going back to fix your f-up. No cutting and patching sheetrock. Leave out a receptacle and your usually screwed.

To cut out for boxes I trace the box on the log, drill a 3/4"-7/8" hole in each corner and join the holes with a sawzal. Being careful not to cut through the back side of the log. I then break out the chunk. Sometimes I need to cut the piece again to get it out.
Then to secure I usually screw through the back of the box into the log, again making sure I don't run the scrw out the back (exterior).

I hope you at least have some qualified help on this one.
Good luck, you're gonna need it!

Old 03-15-04, 01:54 PM
brian64
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies. I lucked out and looked over the contract and it turns out it was written that the construction company has to do it and they are right now. Had to read the thing's fine print but it was in there. Thank you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: