Installing Ceiling Fan with no switch?

Old 03-15-04, 08:22 AM
JonBurrows
Visiting Guest
Installing Ceiling Fan with no switch?

I am looking to add a ceiling fan in our bedroom and just want to make sure I am not going down the wrong path here.... Two questions: One, I am looking to tap into a receptacle box with 14/2 and run it directly to the box. I am looking to use the fans pull chain for on/off. I have no intention of adding a light kit to the fan. Does code require I run it through a switch anyway?

Second question; Because the center of the room falls directly onto a joist and inbewteen evenly with my recessed lights, I am looking to use a 4 1/16 inch PVC Ceiling Fan Box (Raco) that mounts directly to the ceiling joist from underneath. It looks sturdy and is UL rated for a 35 pound fan, but I have never used PVC for mounting a fan, always steel boxes suspended from a cross member...... Thanks very much for your help!!

Old 03-15-04, 09:51 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the recept circuit is on a 15A breaker, 14/2 is fine without a switch. 20A breaker get 12/2 also, no need for a switch.

Box that straddles the joist is a great product, just a bit more involved with stuffing the wire nuts and wire up inside after the connections.

Old 03-15-04, 12:38 PM
JonBurrows
Visiting Guest
Ron,
Thank you for the info... Will go with the 12/2 as you suggested. Great to hear that the joist boxes work well...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: