Wire is too short?

Old 03-15-04, 11:20 AM
doitnewf
Visiting Guest
Wire is too short?

I need to relocate a disconnect switch for my furnace(oil fired)
The wire that supplies power is too short to put the new switch were i want. This existing disconnect switch also feeds power to a second disconnect switch for the water heater (oil fired).
Can someone explain the correct way to extend & rewire the switch, I will be reusing the existing disconnect switch for the water heater and a new 20 amp single pole switch for the furnace.
Cheers
Jp

Old 03-15-04, 11:45 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What do you mean by relocate?

Do you need to move the box that the switch is located in, or just the switch itself (leaving the box intact)?

Old 03-15-04, 01:58 PM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
The existing disconnect switch box will now just become a junction box. Remove the switch and connect a new cable to the wires to the furnace. Run this new cable to your desired switch location and install a new box and single pole switch. At the original box install a blank cover plate.

Remember, any splices, connections, extensions, etc., need to be made inside of an electrical box. "Flying" splices are unsafe and are prohibited by code.

Post back with a complete inventory of the individual wires in the existing box if you need more information on the wiring details.

Old 03-15-04, 07:54 PM
doitnewf
Visiting Guest
Ok....
I'm replacing and moving a disconnect switch for my furnace.
The existing disconnect switch has a wire coming from the panel, a wire going to the furnace and a wire going to another disconnect switch for the boiler.
Were the existing disconnect switch is located, I was going to put in a 4" box, and make my connection in that and put a cover on the box.
here's my take.. from the 4" box I'll run a new wire to the new relocated 20 amp single pole switch from this switch I'll connect the wire that runs to the furnace.
In the 4" box I'll have 3 sets of wires, 1 from the panel box, 1 to the new switch and 1 to the boiler switch.
join all the white wires together, join all the black wires together and all the grounds.
Hope this is a little clearer
Thanks again
JP

Old 03-16-04, 06:30 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would leave the existing wires in the existing switch box, and simply add a new wire for the relocated switch.

To do this, just attach both new 14-2 to the wires that presently attach to the switch. Run this cable to the new switch box and then connect them to the switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: