Shocked


  #1  
Old 03-16-04, 04:08 PM
Rene-d
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Shocked

I have not had the misfortune of being shocked by touching the our stove and fridge at the same time , but my wife has about 3 times and my 8 year old daughter once.
How can I prevent this?
Our house was built in 1959. it looks as if at one time there was a stove that was hard wired. There is a plug-in now but it is not attached to the wall. could this be the problem.
 
  #2  
Old 03-16-04, 06:45 PM
HandyRon's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 1,287
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the shock is due to static electricity, which is made worse in the wintertime, you can humidify the air in your home.
If the shock is due to an internal short within one of the two "stove and fridge", you need to disconnect both, and figure out which is at fault before someone dies. It is very dangerous.
It could be a failing conductor, cirucit or component that needs reconnection, replacment or disposal.
 
  #3  
Old 03-17-04, 02:15 PM
J
Member
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: welland ontario
Posts: 8,046
Received 517 Upvotes on 422 Posts
Start by measuring for voltage from each appliance metal to the kitchen water faucet. It might help determine which appliance has the problem. It could be both of them.
 
  #4  
Old 03-17-04, 02:23 PM
J
Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 17,733
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is this a mild shock or a significant shock?

There are multiple possibilities, some of which have already been suggested: (1) static electricity. (2) Neutral current shock (only applicable if the stove is actually on at the time you are shocked). (3) Improper grounding of one of the appliances. (4) No grounding of one of the appliances. (5) Fault in one of the appliances.

Start with the voltage measurement that Joe suggested. Use an analog meter rather than a digital meter if you have one.
 
  #5  
Old 03-17-04, 02:34 PM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 9,927
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Rene

Chances are the wall recepticules are not grounded or not grounded properly. The outlest may be a three way, meaning having to slots and and a ground pin hole but that does not mean they are grounded.

To inspect this, the electrical power has to be turned off first as a safety precaution. Then remove the cover plate and carefully pullout the recepticule.

There should be a green grounding wire attached to the recepticule. Same applies to all other wall outlets if both appliances are not plugged into the same outlet.

Having a green grounding wire attached to the recepticule does not insure the box is grounded to the main electrical panel. An electrician would need to verify proper grounding at the main panel. Could also properly ground the outlets as well.

The plug wires should also have three prongs on them. Two flat and one round for grounding. No extension cords should be used on either appliance.

Once all the above is in fact verified to be correct, chances are the problem will be resolved. But not totally if it persists. Most likely the stove is the culprit but not a common occurance.

Any electrical componet inside the stove or on the beneath the knobs if equipped with spark ignitors and or a hot surface glowing ingnitor can cause this problem of shocks.

Water and excessive moisture collecting on any electrical componet of the appliance will conduct current. Not grounded properly will cause the current to be transmitted to the appliance since no ground is found in the electrical outlet.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Serivces. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

FYI Notes:
Electrical current at gas meters is also a problem for service techs. So much so testers are given to all service techs. They must first test for current at the meter before working on it is to begin. Company policy.

Electrical current is discovered by touching the meter with the tester. When found, discovered to most likely be comming from the stoves, ovens and or both. Dryers rarely. Washers on area occasion.
 
  #6  
Old 03-18-04, 11:03 AM
Rene-d
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
The shock is more then static electricity. I will start with your suggestions and go from there. thanks for all the info I will keep you posted.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: