wiring cieling light from existing switch

Old 03-17-04, 04:43 PM
Steve Chaffin
Visiting Guest
wiring cieling light from existing switch

I am trying to wire a cieling light to an existing switch. The problem I am having is the existing switch goes to a wall outlet, there are three wires at the switch, red,black, and white. At the outlet there are two wires, red, and black no white. The new cieling light only has two wires, white and black. When I wire the light, do I wire from the switch or the outlet, and which wires do I connect? I have tried wiring from the switch to the light and the light is on all the time or not at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-17-04, 04:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Does power come in at the switch or at the receptacle? Which wires are being used at the switch? Is it a 3-way?Where is the white in the receptacle box{is it pushed to the back or cut out}?

Old 03-17-04, 07:17 PM
Steve Chaffin
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Right now we have both blacks connected at switch and both reds. Whites are twisted together. light has black to black and white to white. red to nothing. Light is on, but won't go off. Any help??

Old 03-17-04, 07:23 PM
Steve Chaffin
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Right now we have both blacks connected at switch and both reds. Whites are twisted together. light has black to black and white to white. red to nothing. Light is on, but won't go off. Any help??

Old 03-17-04, 07:33 PM
INTP
Visiting Guest
Do you have a voltmeter or a test light? IF so, you can tell which one is the hot (should be black or red). It will light or indicate 120V when it goes to either neutral (s/b white) or ground. This is the one that should be switched.

If this is a three way switch, the situation gets more complicated.

Old 03-17-04, 09:27 PM
Steve Chaffin
Visiting Guest
Angry

Help! We are still struggling. We put a new outlet in and new switch. We have 3 whites tied together at the switch two blacks piggytailed together (I think that's what you guys call it) plus the black from the new light at the switch. two reds at the switch, one from the new light, not connected to anything, and one from the outlet. When we connect the blacks and one red, the light is on. I think we have just been trying to long-UGGH! Any advice would be exceptionally wonderful!
Amy

Old 03-17-04, 09:41 PM
Steve Chaffin
Visiting Guest
Talking

WE DID IT!!!!!
NO reds. just the blacks hooked into the switch and whites tied together. It was so simple, we just wanted to make it difficult! It was the darn red wires that were confusing us, and the fact that we didn't a neutral at the switch, because there was one at the outlet. Thanks for this board, I have read more about electrical wiring tonight then I ever wanted to!!!!
Amy

Old 03-20-04, 09:31 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Glad to see you fixed it, Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: