Gfci

Old 03-17-04, 04:09 PM
Bryan S.
Visiting Guest
Gfci

New to this forum. I want to convert an existing single GFCI receptacle in my bathroom into a two GFCI outlet. I know I'll have to tear out the existing single gang box and install a double gang box. First of all is this code? I know that they exist because of the face plates that you can purchase. Here's what I know before tackling this job. It is on a 20 amp curcuit breaker with 14/2 non-metallic sheethed cable, type NM-B. The run consist of 5 other receptacles, 2 overhead lights and another light in the bathroom. I'm not sure if the GFCI is at the end of the run or not, as I mentioned I have not tore anything out yet. Can you tell me what connections I need to make, what I'll need to purchase and if this is possible? Thank You, great web-site.

Old 03-17-04, 04:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First & most important 14 gauge should not be on a 20a breaker,check to make sure before making any changes.Second you do not have to install 2 GFCI receptacles,all you need is 1 GFCI to feed a standard receptacle adjacent to it. All GFCIs have two sets of terminals, one set is line in & the other is load.Connect the power to the line in terms & the adjacent receptacle to the load terms.

Old 03-17-04, 04:53 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Because of the load you described on this circuit I highly recommend changing the 20a breaker to a 15a breaker.Perhaps calling a pro to check the rest of the panel for any problems.Just a suggestion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: