breaker not working?

Old 03-18-04, 08:28 AM
Crystal M
Visiting Guest
breaker not working?

I'm hoping someone can help me here. I'm in a financial crisis, so I can't hire an electrician. I had a light hanging from my front porch to light my front yard while I was grilling, one of my kids tripped over the cord. The light fell down, the filiment(?) was broken. I assumed that I just needed to change the bulb, but as it turns out half the outlets in my living room stopped working, my hallway light, my front porch light, and the outlets along one wall of a bedroom are out. My house has had touchy electric from the start. The outlets in the kitchen have always just worked when they wanted to. Sometimes my hallway light will just come on, so I'm not really sure if it is part of my kitchen problem or the new problem with the living room. I've tried the breaker box, turning everyone on and off. I've even unscrewed the outlets to check for loose wires, I didn't see any. I'm really starting to wonder if my house is in danger of burning down! Maybe I just need a power upgrade? Anything else I should check or try?

Old 03-18-04, 09:40 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would look for a GFCI outlet. Perhaps ths light was plugged into a GFCI outlet, or perhaps you have one somewhere else. Make sure that no GFCI outlets are tripped.

Last edited by John Nelson; 03-18-04 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-19-04, 06:00 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In addition to what Bob mentioned I would also check junction boxes that may be connecting the rooms {without power} together.The J.Bs are in the attic or basement.Good luck,becareful.

Old 03-20-04, 12:57 AM
arcspark
Visiting Guest
Since one of your kids tripped on a cord that started the problem.......what was the cord connected to? Was this a portable light plugged into a receptacle? If it was plugged into a wall receptacle, check the receptacle. The sudden pull could have jarred the outlet enough to break a connection - especially if the wires are just pushed into the stab holes in the back of the outlets in lieu of being attached to the side screw terminals. Check connections there, but first make sure the power is off before removing the receptacle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: