Wiring 220 switch for table saw

Old 03-18-04, 10:09 AM
woodhud
Visiting Guest
Wiring 220 switch for table saw

New to the forum so please bear with me. I am helping a friend set up a new workshop and we ran 220 for the table saw which is an old Sears Model # 103.27270 with a 1HP Craftsman model # 11319063 motor. The wiring from the switch to the motor is very old and funky so we are going to replace it, which isn't the problem. The problem arises in replacing the old on-off light type switch with a 600 volt heavy duty GE CR2940 switch that he salvaged somewhere. The switch has individual start and stop push buttons along with a separate light which I assume goes on and off with the power. The switches and the light are still wired together (correctly?) but there are 3 purple wires labeled 1,2 & 3 and 1 black wire labeled L2 coming out of the box. The black wire goes to 1 post on the light switch. The start and stop switches each have 4 posts (two on each side, up and down). There is a black jump wire leading from the 2nd post on the light switch to a top post on the start switch. There is no wire attached to the bottom post on this side of the start switch. The top post on the opposite side of the start switch there is attached the #2 purple wire and a black jump wire to the bottom post of the stop switch on the same side. There is no wire attached to the bottom post of this side of the start switch nor the top post of the stop switch on this side. The #1 purple wire is attached to the bottom post on the opposite side of the stop switch. The top post on this side of the stop switch has no wire attached. The #3 purple wire is not attached to anything at the moment. Herein lies my quandry; which wires go to the motor and which to the power supply? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have tried for hours to find info on this particular switch from GE and other sites but to no avail. Thanks.

Old 03-18-04, 10:27 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Woodhut:

Are these 2 spererate items?-- a "Start/Stop" push-button assembly in it's own enclosure, and a seperate enclosure for what may be a motor-starter?

"Momentary-contact" "Start/Stop" puch-buttons require 3 wires between the push-button and the starter, with "1", "2" & "3" as the terminal indentification.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!

Old 03-18-04, 11:08 AM
woodhud
Visiting Guest
This unit is enclosed in a metal box with 2 separate push button switches, one labeled start and one stop and a separate light. Now as I look closer at the switches, it appears that they are "momentary contact" type buttons. The power supply cord from the 220 outlet to the switch has 3 wires, two power and one neutral. the neutral wire hooks right up to the motor neutral but I am not clear as to where to hook the two power wires to. As I mentioned, there are 4 wires leaving the switch box of which 1, the #3 wire is not connected to anything within the box. Which wires connect to what? Thanks for your reply.

Old 03-18-04, 04:13 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This advise presumes that the Start/Stop buttons operates/releases a contactor coil of a magetic starter.

At the starter, the #1 wire connects to either a "#1" terminal or to "L1", which is one of the Line-leads. At the P-B the #1 wire connects to a terminal on the "Stop" button.

The other "Stop" button terminal connects to a terminal on the "Start" button.

At the starter, the #3 wire connects to either a "#3" terminal, or to one lead on the operating-coil. The other lead of the operating-coill connects to "L2", the other Line-terminal. At the P-B, the #3 wire connects to the "vacant" terminal of the "Start" button, the other "Start" button terminal connected to the "Stop" button terminal as explained.

When the "Start" button is pushed, the coil is energized-----

L1 to wire#1 to the "Stop" button terminal, thru the closed-contacts of the "Stop" button to the terminal of the "Start" button, thru the "Start" button pushed close to the 3# wire, thru the #3 wire to one lead of the contactor-coil, thru the contactor-coil to L2.

I suggest you make this connection first, and then procede further if the connection is correct.

CAUTION!!!!! If you connect the #3 wire from the "Start" button to the coil lead that connects to L2, you will have a SHORT-CIRCUIT!!

You must be positively sure of the coil-connections--- one coil-lead to the #3 wire, and the other coil-lead to L2.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!

THERE may be a #1 terminal (L1) and a #3 terminal ( coil-lead) on the starter.

Old 03-18-04, 10:27 PM
woodhud
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your time and input. I've spent too much time trying to figure this switch out and it sounds like it is not going to work for my application anyway so I will just advise my friend to get a DPST switch and be done with it.

Old 03-20-04, 12:54 AM
u2slow
Visiting Guest
My guess is you lack the contactor for which the start/stop station is to work with.

Make sure the DPST switch is rated for horsepower. If you can't find one, look for a manual motor starter - they come in a basic toggle switch variety as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: