Gfci

Old 03-19-04, 11:20 AM
Bryan S.
Visiting Guest
Gfci

I am converting a single GFCI outlet in my bathroom to a two receptacle outlet w/the other receptacle being a standard one. The GFCI is at the end of a run (one 3 wire cable in box). The 2 gang box is a blue plastic one. I know that I have to connect the black wire to Line-Hot (brass) and the white wire to Line-Neutral (silver) and bare copper to Ground (green screw) to the GFCI receptacle. My question is what connections do I need to make over to the standard receptacle. It has 2 brass screws both on the same side with a tab connecting them together. The same goes for the silver for the other side. And naturally it has a green screw for ground. This standard receptacle will be at the end of the run, I do not plan to add to it. Your help would be much appreciated. Thank You.

Old 03-19-04, 11:44 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Use a wire nut on the grounding wire to add two pigtails to it. Connect the grounding pigtails to the grounding screws on the two receptacles.

Use a short black jumper from load-hot to either one of the brass screws on the new receptacle, and a short white jumper from load-white to either one of the silver screws on the new receptacle.

Old 03-19-04, 11:46 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The additional outlet gets connected to the load terminals on the GFCI.

Use a short piece of black 20 gauge wire (or 14 gauge if this is a 15 amp ciircuit) to connect the load hot terminal to either brass screw.

Use a short piece of white 20 gauge wire to connect the load neutral terminal to either of the silver screws.

The green ground screw on the new outlet needs to be connected to the bare ground wire. There are several ways to do this. If the bare ground wire is long enough you can wrap it around one ground screw and then around the other, or you can take a new piece of 20 gauge bare ground wire and use it to connect the grounds together.

When connecting wires, do not ever put more than one wire under a screw terminal. Use wire nuts and pigtails if necessary.

Old 03-19-04, 04:45 PM
Bryan S.
Visiting Guest
Thanks John and racraft for your information. It helped me complete my task which was successful. I knew it was something as simple as it was, but you never know especially when you're dealing w/electric. Once again thanks. Bryan S.

Old 03-19-04, 07:01 PM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
[QUOTE]Originally posted by racraft

Use a short piece of black 20 gauge wire (or 14 gauge if this is a 15 amp ciircuit) to connect the load hot terminal to either brass screw.

Use a short piece of white 20 gauge wire to connect the load neutral terminal to either of the silver screws.

[/QUOTE

Racraft, I believe you actually mean 12, rather than 20. 20 AWG is very small.

Bryan S., what size wire did you use for your pigtails? And what is the amperage rating of the fuse or breaker protecting this circuit?

Old 03-19-04, 08:26 PM
Bryan S.
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply hotarc. I didn't use any pig tails, I took the existing bare copper wire from the 3-wire 14/2 cable (which was long enough) to connect both receptacles as racraft mentioed in his reply. Currently this is on a 20 amp C/B, but I'm going to switch it to a 15 amp C/B which someone informed me to do. Thanks

Old 03-20-04, 05:08 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, of course I meant 12 gauge. Lack of proofreading. My bad.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: