Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

new wiring, double switch to light from top or bottom of stair

Old 03-19-04, 03:36 PM
byteguy
Visiting Guest

I am doing new wiring on an addition. I am putting in a double switch (double pole?) to be used at top and bottom of stair to turn light off or on from top or bottom of stair.

Need refresher on double pole , double switch wiring.

Thank you
Respectfully
byteguy

Old 03-19-04, 04:17 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What you are installing are two three way switches.

Tess us how the wiring will be run. Does the power come into one of the switches, or does it come into the light? Do you want to run SW--L--SW, or SW--SW--L or what?

Old 03-19-04, 04:43 PM
byteguy
Visiting Guest
So far, I have a 14-3 wire running between the two switches, one at the bottom of the stairs and one at the top.

I have a 12-2 (or 14-2 --doesn't matter) running from the box at the top of the stairs to the light.

Power comes into the box at the top of the stairs.

Old 03-19-04, 06:16 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
At the top of the stairs connect the white power wire to the white wire going to the light.

At the top of the stairs connect the black power wire to the common terminal of the switch.

At the top of the stairs connect the black wire to the light to the white wire going to the other switch. Reidentify the white wire as hot with a black marker.

At the top of the stairs connect the red and black wires going to the other switch to the two other terminals of the switch.

At the bottom of the stairs connect the white wire (reidentified with black marker) to the common terminal of the switch.

At the bottom of the stairs connect the red and black wires to the other two terminals of the switch.

At the light connect the black and white wires as appropriate.

Connect all ground wires together, to each switch or to the light, and to all metal boxes.

Old 03-20-04, 09:06 AM
byteguy
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your help. I'm gonna do it today!

bg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: