wiring for overhead lighting

Old 03-20-04, 08:02 PM
pouncedkitty
Visiting Guest
wiring for overhead lighting

I want to put a ceiling fan into my bedroom. There is no existing overhead lighting. I have a light switch that is connected to an outlet. How can I get the electricity from the switch to my ceiling? Then do I need anything special to hang my ceiling fan from?

Old 03-20-04, 08:49 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This is one of the most popular projects asked about here. The situation has been discussed hundreds of times. Here are the standard questions:[list=1][*]Is there an accessible attic above this room?[*]Do you want one wall switch or two (one for the fan and one for the light)?[*]Do you want the receptacle to still be switched when you're done?[*]Are both halves of the receptacle controlled by the switch, or just one half?[*]Is there just one receptacle controlled by this switch, or are there others?[*]Do you plan a remote control for the fan/light (I hope not)?[/list=1]Once we get these basic questions answered, then we need you to do some investigations:
  • Shut off the breaker and pull out the wall switch? Describe what you see. The most common answers are: (A) there is just one black wire and one white wire and both are attached to the switch, (B) There are two black wires connected to the switch, and two white wires connected to each other, or (C) there is one (or more) black wire(s) and one red wire connected to the switch, and two white wires connected to each other.
  • Same question for the receptacle (which a different set of possible answers).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: