ceiling fan wiring

Old 03-21-04, 05:00 AM
bbrockla
Visiting Guest
ceiling fan wiring

I recently tried to relocate a ceiling fan from one room to another and didn't pay any attention to the first wiring connections. I just bought a 1948 house so the wires from the ceiling are both black. The fan has a white wire, blue wire, and black wire. There is also a mounting frame that screws into the ceiling with a green wire attached to it. Now I have tried many single combinations (i.e. blue to green, white to one black, and black to the other black in the ceiling, etc.) none of which made the fan work correctly. After reading some questions posted on your website I'm thinking that I should wire the blue and black wires from the fan to the hot black wire from the ceiling and the white wire to the black ceiling wire. But then what do I do with the green wire coming from the metal mounting frame?

Old 03-21-04, 05:58 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
One of the black wires in the ceiling is a hot wire. This hot wire needs to be attached to the blua and black fan wires. The other black wire in the ceiling is a return wire. It gets connected to the white wire for the fan. The green wire from the box is a ground. This ground wire gets attached to the ground wires from the fan, which will be green or bare.

Old 03-21-04, 01:32 PM
bbrockla
Visiting Guest
There isn't another wire to attach to the green wire. There are only two wires coming out of the ceiling (both black.) There are three wires coming out of the fan (black, blue, and white.) The green wire has a clip on one end that is screwed into the metal mounting frame that is screwed into the ceiling. The other end of the green wire is bare. The green wire is also fairly short compared to the other wires.

Old 03-21-04, 01:40 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The green wire is meant to be used to ground the fan. If the fan has a bare ground wire or a green ground wire, then connect it to the green wire you have. If the fan does not have a ground wire then do not use the ground wire in the ceiling box.

Old 03-21-04, 02:07 PM
bbrockla
Visiting Guest
Well, thanks to you the sixth time is the charm! That worked. I just taped off the end of the green wire and left it unattached. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: