Moving an electrical outlet

Old 03-21-04, 08:35 AM
shliko
Visiting Guest
Moving an electrical outlet

I'm trying to move an electrical outlet. The outlet is currently on a wall and I want to move it to the rear of an adjacent bookcase for a stereo system.
Here's the problem:
Attached to the original outlet was 2 black wires , a white wire, and a copper wire attached by a little screw on the corner. I want to attach a single "bundle" of wires, 14-2 NMB , to the wires currently coming out of the wall (from the original outlet)and then run this wire to the new outlet in the bookcase.
The problem is that there was 2 black wires attached to the original outlet but there is only one black wire in the 14-2 NMB bundle of wires.
Is it OK to attach the 2 black wires from the original outlet to the one single black wire and run this to where I want to the new outlet to be. I know this sounds bad but I'm hoping it may work as it would be very difficult (holes in walls) to loosen up the original outlet wiring to run this over to the bookcase.
Thanks!

Old 03-21-04, 10:57 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What you need to do is to attach your new wires to the existing outlet. The black wire goes to the black wires on the outlet, the white wire goes to the white wire on the outlet., and the ground wire goes to the ground wire on the outlet (the little one in the corner.

Make sure that the existing circuit is a 15 amp circuit. If it is a 20 amp circuit then you need to use 12 gauge wire.

Is this existing outlet switched at all? Is the tab between the brass screws (the ones with the black wires) intact, or has the tab been removed?

You may not put more than one wire under a screw terminal. To connect your new wire you will need wire nuts and pigtails. Pigtails are short pieces of wire that you put one end into the wirenut and the other end under the appropriate screw terminal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: