A couple of questions

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-04, 11:23 AM
JRRR.
Visiting Guest
A couple of questions

First question is lately I have noticed when my furnace or other larger load kicks on my lights tend to brighten before returning to normal. Usually my lights dim a bit and then return. I have noticed this when there is snow/rain. I am assuming a bad/loose neutral out at the pole or in the wiring to my box. Usually when the weather is good operation is normal. I have called the power company and they said they will come and inspect. Are my assumptions correct?

Second question is I have a couple of 2 prong outlets in my house. I would like to change them over to 3 prong. When the box is grounded what is prescribed method? Grounding clip? Or just take a piece of copper and affix to box and then attach to green screw at receptacle? There is one box that is not grounded-Can you still buy 2 prong outlets?

Thank You.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-04, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1. Could be a loose neutral, or could be other things. See what the power company says.

2. They sell green ground wires that screw into the hole in the back of the metal box. Attach the screw to the box and the other end to the outlet or switch. Or you can make your own connections.

Yes, they still sell 2 prong outlets, depending upon what state you are in. Some states do not allow them to be sold, but most do. Without a properly grounded box, you have few options. One is to install a GFCI outlet.

Old 03-22-04, 12:40 PM
JRRR.
Visiting Guest
Bob,
Thank you for your reply. I live in NY-so I will check with my local electrical warehouse about availability.
Is there anything that I can do in the interim to check inside the panel/house on my problem. I have a pretty decent understanding of ac voltage and a multimeter. Again thank you.

Closed Thread