wiring new 220 outlet

Old 03-22-04, 09:28 PM
TMB70
Visiting Guest
wiring new 220 outlet

Hello,
I just purchased a new aircompressor that requires a 220 line. Iam in an older house that has been converted to breaker box with a free area for the 220 to be hooked up (two 30 breakers attached/one 60 breaker). This breaker in the past was used for the hot water heater (now by gas). I am wondering what gauge of wires I would need to get to run the outlet? There is a sub box in the attic crawl space that is where the original wiring from the house is connected to the new wiring from the breaker box. I figure that I should run the line from the breaker box to this sub box due to common/ground bar being easy to get to and run the final line from this sub box to the outlet? Any and all suggestions is greatly appreciated in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-04, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No, you run your new line from the breaker box to where you need it. Do not involve the original box in the attic.

The size breaker you need and the wire gauge depend on the requirements of the compressor.

Old 03-23-04, 02:36 AM
TMB70
Visiting Guest
Compressor motor sticker states
VOLTS 240 HZ 60 PH 01 AMPS 15.0 SF 1.0 LR AMPS 93 OUTPUT 2.98KW

Thanks for correcting me on just wiring directly to the end rather than connecting to the junction box in the attic (I still get to play in the old fiberglass insulation though). I am wanting to eventually use this outlet for some mig welding applications, but might just have a 120v welder. Is there any way to have both 120 and 220 from the same breaker? (I figure there isn't but who knows). Thank you for your quick reply

Old 03-23-04, 05:27 AM
And what type of cord and plug are on the device?

Old 03-23-04, 06:19 AM
TMB70
Visiting Guest
There isn't any type of plug thus far (I get to install one) the compressor is bare bones from the store I bought it at. It looks like just 3 wires including the ground? that doesn't sound right does it? There is only one little metal cover that could be where the outlet is to be attached, which is where the other wires are leading to the control (auto/manual switch). Looks pretty simple and easy if those/they are the only wiring I need to worry about.

Old 03-23-04, 07:22 AM
You may want to get some literature on the subject. Check at a hardware store, they often have books on electrical wiring. When it comes to wiring at home, I always over build it. It may cost a little more for a heavier guage wire, but I have the peace of mind that I am not going to overheat them.

From what I understand it needs 15 amps. You need at least a 20 amp breaker. Use the lowest breaker you need. If it is using 15 amps, 10-2 wire should be enough. The three wires are right. You need red, black and ground. I would recommend using a plug to disconnect the compressor if needed rather than direct wiring it, but that is my opinion and may not be recommended by others.

Give an outlet at least 8 guage wire(you never know if you want to plug in a welder, heater in the future) If it is in the basement, you probably won't be using a welder, but in the garage, there are unlimited reasons to have a heavy duty 220 plug. I am installing a 6 guage cable to my garage right now.

Make sure you know what you are doing before starting. THis is nothing to mess up.

Old 03-23-04, 07:44 AM
TMB70
Visiting Guest
I plan on going to Home Depot today and picking their brains for "the right set-up". I will definately play it safe and get everything I might need prior to getting involved. I am planning on using a mig welder at some point so I guess it would be smart to use the heavier gauge and definately I plan on using a plug.
Thanks for your reply