wiring ceiling fan/light

Old 03-23-04, 08:59 AM
goodigor
Visiting Guest
wiring ceiling fan/light

Wiring the ceiling fan/light made sense until I saw the wires coming out of the box in the ceiling. Coming out of the box there is a green wire and a separate group of three wires that have been taped together and a pigtail coming down from that group. The house was built in 1946. When I disconnected the old fan/light I made note of how it was connected. The red, black, and white wires were connected to the pigtail. The green wire from the ceiling was connected to a grounding screw, but I forgot where the green wire from the fan was connected. The replacement fan/light has black, white, blue, and green wires, but no red. I connected the black, white, and blue wires to the pigtail from the box (the way the old fan was connected) but it doesn't work. On the old and new fixture there is a chain to control the fan and another chain to control the light. A switch on the wall gives power to the fixture. I tested and there is power coming from the the pigtail and light bulb works.

Thanks for any help I can get.

AJ

Old 03-23-04, 09:16 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Something is missing with your description. You should have three wires coming from the ceiling. The green wire is a ground. Connect it to the green wire from the fan.

You should have a hot wire and a return wire. The hot wire gets connected to black and blue wires of the fan. The return gets connected to the white wire from the fan.

If necessary, open the switch box and see how the wires are connected there.

Old 03-26-04, 05:48 AM
goodigor
Visiting Guest
Smile

Got it! After looking farther up in the box and looking at the wiring in another room I figured out that someone had extended the hot wire by splicing a green wire to it. I put black tape on it and wired it accordingly. It works. Thanks for your support.

AJ

Old 03-26-04, 06:51 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If things are as you describe, you have a serious code violation. I recommend that you immediately figure out exactly what you have. You may ver well need the services of an electrician to correct this, as it sounds like you may be over your head.

Please do not let this stand as it is. You may very well have a problem that could kill someone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: