15 or 20 amp?

Old 03-23-04, 11:12 AM
Dunk
Visiting Guest
15 or 20 amp?

I am trying to install a new outlet in my yard to power a pond pump. How do I know if I need 15 or 20 amp outlets? Is it ok to use 20 if I only need 15.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-04, 11:42 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Will this outlet only power the pond pump? If so, probably will only need 15A, depending on the pump motor. I gather this will be somewhere away from the house, thru the lawn to the location where the pond will be. If so, that line will have to be buried underground, I would try to run it thru a conduit (PVC) probably and depending on your location and elec code, probably at least 18" in the ground. A GFCI will be needed for the recepticle. Are you planning on tapping into a circuit from the house for that line or running a whole new circuit? Maybe some other pro's here can provide more specific info. Im not an electrician, but Ive done all of my wiring myself...and the house is still standing...
Good luck.
edit. Sorry I didnt see your earlier post about extending an outlet from an existing one, in reference to this post. So the cable is already underground.....

Old 03-23-04, 11:57 AM
Dunk
Visiting Guest
Thanks Jatco. Does the wire have to be underground. I was told
(by the guys at the hardware store) that I could just enclose the wire in conduit and run it behind the top of my retaining wall.

Old 03-23-04, 12:39 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
"Thanks Jatco. Yes it is an ourdoor box with a cover.
It is an existing outlet. I am trying to run a line from it to the other side on the yard to install another outlet to power the pump."
-
Ok.. hense the focus on your 1st thread re: the wiring of your existing box.
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=162995