new breaker switch outlet

Old 03-23-04, 07:25 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question new breaker switch outlet

I ran a new 20amp breaker with a four wire. Used the black as hot at the breaker ran it to a GFI wired it over to a switch. I did not use the red from breaker to GFI to switch. My next move was I ran a short test wire because I thought I did not know what I was doing (quess what I missed something!) . I am going from this switch to a light and an other socket. my switch has a common side. I put the black wires into the common side (thought that was the constant hot side) and had a red wire out to the light along with whites to the socket and light. The outlet is hot but the light switch does not work (GFI and outlet work). I can place the red wire with the blacks and have a light but I am missing the switch what am I doing wrong? I tried switching the red to the common and the black in the other side of the switch but to no avail HELP !

Old 03-23-04, 08:19 PM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
Sounds like you are using a 3-way switch in an application that calls for a standard single pole switch. The correct switch for this application will not have a "common" terminal. It will have 3 total screws. Two brass and one green.

Do the following:

1) Run a 3-wire, meaning black-white-ground, from your breaker panel to the GFCI. Or you can leave your existing 4-wire in place, but ignore the red wire.

2) From the GFCI to the switch, you just need a cable with black-white-ground.

3) At the switch box, connect a 6-inch black wire, aka "pigtail", to the incoming black and to the black going to the other receptacle with a wire nut. This will give you your constant power to the receptacle, which I assume you want. Take the 6 inch pigtail and connect that to one of the brass terminals on your standard single pole switch.

4) Connect all of your whites together. Connect the grounds together with another one of these pigtails. Then connect the ground pigtail to the green screw on the switch.

5) Connect the black wire going to the light fixture to the other brass screw on the switch.

6) Make your connections at the receptacle and light fixture. Black to black or brass screw, white to white or silver screw. Green or Bare Ground to green screw or wire.

That's it!

Old 03-24-04, 05:20 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
breaker socket outlet

Thanks for your time! It works now with the right switch.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: