Doorbells & Buzzers Powered by Batteries?

Old 03-25-04, 05:52 PM
Mark Nguyen
Visiting Guest
Doorbells & Buzzers Powered by Batteries?

Hi! I'm in charge of a theatre project, and one thing the kids want to do is a sort of gameshow that needs buzzers or doorbell sounds.

What I want to do is take a standard "ding-dong" style doorbell and a nice deep buzzing buzzer and hook them up to a battery power source. I would then put everything into a box with two simple buttons on top... What would be the simplest way to do this? It's got to be loud, so a standard doorbell should be sufficient for our theatre.

I assume I won't need a transformer, but will any other hardware be necessary besides the doorbell, button and battery casing? And what kind of battery will be sufficient to power a standard doorbell? Are there any online resourvces for how to do this? Or easier ways, for that matter?

Aside from some soldering experience, my electronics knowledge is pretty redimentary. Any help you guys could offer would be great. Thanks in advance!

Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-04, 06:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Why batteries? If you must use batteries, build a battery pack to the minimum rating of the chime / buzzer. Probably two 6 V lantern batteries wired in series would do the job.

I would personally go to one of the big box stores and pick up the parts for an electrical powered model. Get a knock out box and mount the transformer on it. Do the 120 v wiring inside of the box with suitable length of wire for pluging into an outlet. The low voltage wiring to the noise makers is pretty simple.

At least one company makes a battery powered chime, if you want to go that route. Takes 'D' cells.

Old 03-25-04, 06:47 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You can connect three 6V lantern batteries in series to get 18V, which will run all doorbells and buzzers with plenty of punch. Then simply connect one terminal to the buttons, then from the buttons to the devices, then from the devices back to the other battery terminal.
It would be actually easier to buy a 16V bell transformer, but you would need to get a cord & plug as well.
Let us know if you need any other help

Old 03-25-04, 06:49 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
oops! Looks like we posted almost at the same time with the same ideas

Old 03-25-04, 06:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Great minds and all that.