installing fan/light combo

Old 03-27-04, 04:58 PM
jm2267
Visiting Guest
installing fan/light combo

Before selling my house I have removed an expensive fan/light combo that used a remote. I couldn't use my light/fan switches on the wall so just used the remote for light and fan control. (based on advice from this forum).

I am putting a remoteless cheaper fan/light combo in its place but can't remember how these things are wired. There is a red wire coming from the ceiling. Is the following correct: the red is hot and should be connected to a blue wire that powers the lighting. Then connect black to black, etc. Now my double wall switch can be used once more. One switch will turn on the fan and the other the light.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-04, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have a red, black and white from the ceiling, and if you have two switches then the red and black must be switched hots and white is (of course) a return. Which switched wire you connect to the the blue and which to the black is determined by which switch you want to operate the light and which you want to operate the fan.

Now you know why you should ALWAYS make detailed drawings and/or take detailed notes about how things are connected before you change them.