Wiring an Attic Fan

Old 03-28-04, 04:52 PM
bobke1
Visiting Guest
Question Wiring an Attic Fan

Hope someone can help- My roofer installed a new attic fan. I'm trying to wire it, but here's the problem. The house's wiring has a white, black and red wire. The thermostat/humidistat from the fan has a white and a black wire. Can anyone tell me what wire gets hooked up to what wire? To add, the previous fan could be turned on by a switch in the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-04, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are you statiing that the house wiring has an insulated red conductor, an insulated black conductor, an insulated white conductor, and a bare ground wire (three insulated wires and 1 non-insulated wire)?

If so, then either the black or red wire is switched hot and needs to be connected to the fan's black wire. The white wires get connected, and the ground wires get connected. The extra wire (black or red get s capped and is not used).

However, if you have something other than the wiring I described above, then please calrify what you really do have. I am thinking you have something else.

Obviously what you should have done is to look at how the previous fan was wired.

Old 03-29-04, 03:31 PM
bobke1
Visiting Guest
wiring an attic fan

Thanks Racraft!
You are right- my wiring is only the ones I mentioned, no separate ground wire. Just the black, red and white ones from the house and the black and white ones from the fan. I did compare with the previous fan, but I think it was so old the wiring was different. Any ideas? Thanks.
Dave

Old 03-29-04, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Since yoiu say this is controlled by a switch in the kitchen, I recommend looking at the wiring to the switch.

Open the switch box and tell us which wires are connected to the switch (and which are simply connected in the switch box).

This will likely tell us what we need to know.

Old 03-30-04, 06:09 PM
bobke1
Visiting Guest
wiring an attic fan

Great Idea! Thanks so much!

Dave