Something's always on!

Old 03-29-04, 08:08 AM
bill_mbts
Visiting Guest
Something's always on!

Hi -

Hoping for some advice on how to proceed.

I have two separate wires running outdoors, both controlled from one indoor switch. One wire runs to 2 pair of floodlights, the other to low-voltage walkway lights.

When the switch is turned up, the floodlights are on and the walkway lights are off. When the switch is turned down, the floodlights are off and the patio lights go on.

I'd like all of these lights to be on/off simultaneously - is there a way to achieve this? Alternatively, is there a way to split these into 2 different switches?

Thanks!

Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-04, 08:19 AM
You need to tell us exacly how the switch is wired.

Tell us all the cables in the switch box and all the individual wiores in the cables. Tell us which wires are connected together, which wires are connected to the switch and where they are connected. Tell us about all the wires.

Old 03-29-04, 01:27 PM
sounds like you have each of those connected to opposite sides of a 3-way switch... So the switch is never off.

If that IS the case, you could connect 2 seperate switches intead of the one 3-way switch, and have each of those legs on a seperate switch. They make switches that fit in a single gang box if you need(they use a receptacle cover plate).

Old 04-01-04, 06:57 AM
bill_mbts
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the responses - I'm going to take the switch out tonight and have a look. It will be close to impossible to trace all the wires, and I'm assuming (hoping) the error was made somewhere fairly accessible.