Bathroom light fixture

Old 03-29-04, 04:00 PM
dbarasch
Visiting Guest
Bathroom light fixture

I am new to electrical work... so here is my question.

I recently bought a new light fixture for my bathroom. It has three wires, black, white and a copper wire which I think is for the ground.

I took off my old light in the bathroom a few days ago and forgot which wires go to which. I have three wires coming out of my wall. I have a white wire, and I have a black and red one which are already twisted together. Which wire goes to which?

I also did some painting in my bathroom and got some paint on the ends of the wires coming out of the wall. Will this be a problem?

Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-04, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
One black, one red, one white. Is that a complete inventory of everything in the box?

Paint is not a problem. Use a bit of fine sandpaper to get it off the actual wires.

Is this light controlled by one wall switch? Can you tell us the wires at the switch?

Old 03-29-04, 06:48 PM
dbarasch
Visiting Guest
ok I hope this makes sense...

Yes there is a wall switch in the bathroom. Here is whats inside the switchbox.

I have a black wire that is connected to one of the screws on the switch. The red wire is being inserted in the back of the switch. Its not connected to any screw, its just inserted in the back. The white wire is capped.

Does this help?

Old 03-29-04, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, that helps.

One black wire, one red wire, one white wire. Is that a 100% complete inventory of everything in the box where the light is?

One black wire, one red wire, one white wire. Is that a 100% complete inventory of everything in the box where the switch is?

If you answer yes to both of the above questions, I'm going to come back and ask you if you are 100% sure of those answers, that there is no possibility that there are any more wires tucked into the back of the box.

Now, for the red wire at the switch. Is it stuck in a hole right next to the screw where the black wire is, or is it stuck in a hole on the other end of the switch next to an unused screw?

And when you say the white wire is "capped". Does that mean one single wire that is not connected to anything?