Ground Fault Circuit Question

Old 03-29-04, 06:37 PM
rikamy
Visiting Guest
Gfci Circuit.... I'm Stumped ... Help

I am running a feed into gfi, double checked line is in line. On the load side I am feeding an outside outlet nuetral and hot to propper terminals. Also feeding an outside lighting cuircut from the load side of that gfci. I have 2 nuetral and 2 hots coming from load side of gfci,, utilizing both push in terminals on nuetral and hot from load.. In this switch box ( 4 gang) everything works fine except 1 switch leg.. They are all sharing the same nuetral and hot from the load side of the gfci. when I turn this switch on it trips the gfi. I tried troubleshooting by running some 14 guage of of the load side of the switch to a pigtail light, trying to eliminate a short in that switchleg , but it still tripped the gfci. I elliminated the gfci and everything worked o.k... Doesn't make any sense to me, If there was a short in the neutral one of the other lights wouldn't work.... they are utilizing the same nuetral feed coming out of the load side of the gfi.... If this makes any sense to someone please help. I am an electrician, might be something simple , maybe not , any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-04, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have you tried replacing the switch?

Old 03-29-04, 09:08 PM
Rlfrazee
Visiting Guest
Would seem you have a small leakage of current. Could be the switch as racraft has noted. Direct shorts are massive inrushes of current that will trip the breaker but will not trip the gfci. Many times the gfci will be destroyed if subjected to direct short. Small leakages of current (5ma or so) are what the gfci sees and causes it to trip. The circuit could very well work with the gfci removed since the leakage could be so small as to not affect the operation of the light. If this is one of the better quality gfi's it will have two toridal coils allowing it to monitor hot to neutral, hot to ground, and neutral to ground current leakages. In your case would seem since switch is involved would be a hot to ground leakage in some way. I would try a different switch as racraft asks first then look for anything in the area inside the switch box that might be setting up a current leakage from this switch....RL