Electric or not ?

Old 03-31-04, 02:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electric or not ?

About 2 years ago I purchased a house, finally I'm finding time to start to clear up some of the land.
In one section of the land, where I am working now. I came across an old telephone pole or electrical pole, I don't know?
The pole is about 15 foot tall and is totally covered with very thick vines , I always thought it was just a dead tree.

My question is, I want to take the pole down but I noticed on the side of the pole there is a wire cover. After peeling back the metal cover I see there are 2 thick wires going up the pole. The wires end at the top. the wires are about 3/4 inch thick.

Are they phone wires or electric wires? Could they possible be hot if they are electrical wires? Is there a way I could check if they are hot without killing myself?

Just in case someone asked, as far as I know the pole is from the 1940's and it is no longer being used for anything

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-04, 04:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Your safest bet would be to call the local power and phone companies and ask. There may be a metal plate with numbers and the company that the pole belongs to. Trey to have this number when you call.