switchable duplex outlet

Old 03-31-04, 01:56 PM
JeffB
Visiting Guest
Question switchable duplex outlet

I want to wire an outlet to a single pole switch so that one plug can be turned on and off, to control a lamp while the other plug is continuously hot.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-04, 02:13 PM
You need to provide more information.

Is this a new installation? Are you trying to change an existing outlet? Are you trying to add an outlet connected to an existing switch? Will you be getting power from an existing outlet, or running from the panel?

Old 03-31-04, 02:22 PM
JeffB
Visiting Guest
I'm working with an exsisting outlet at the end of the circuit. I learned about what I want to do in school,something about knocking off the brass tab between the two plugs, I can't find my notes or remember how its wired.

Old 03-31-04, 02:33 PM
On each side of a duplex recpectacle there are two screws. The screws are connected by a small piece of copper. When the tab is present, you only need to connect your hot and return wires to one screw on each side of the outlet. The tab carries the current to/from the other half of the duplex receptacle.

In your case, you want to break the tab on the hot side of the duplex receptacle. You wil connect the always hot to the top or bottom half, and the switched hot to the other half. The neytral gets connected to the other side.

Do you need help adding the switch, or do you know how to do that?

Old 03-31-04, 03:28 PM
JeffB
Visiting Guest
the switch is not a problem! Thank you for the help! It's greatly appreciated