old Bx cable

Old 04-02-04, 06:12 AM
pascal
Visiting Guest
old Bx cable

We have old Bx cable in our home (1929 installation). Is this safe? What are the options to upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by pascal; 04-02-04 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-02-04, 06:20 AM
J
Received 518 Upvotes on 423 Posts
It is probalby safe. Depending on if it is grounded the ultimate option is to replace it. If it is grounded (the metal jacket can sometimes be used as the ground) then you could safely leave it and upgrade the gounding system. Install ground rods and bond the water lines etc.

It's a little difficult to judge without viewing the situation.

Old 04-02-04, 07:12 AM
phillyguy
Visiting Guest
As mentioned its probably safe. Does anything lead you to believe it wouldn't be, like corrosion or obvious fraying? My house is a bit older than yours and had a hodge podge of knob and tube, BX, and romex wiring. Most of the BX was in good shape and I left it in place, except a few places where I wasn't crazy about the layout.

Old 04-02-04, 08:59 AM
pascal
Visiting Guest
The insulation on the wires is coming loose. This is obvious when you take the cover off an outlet. The metal sleeves are in good condition and I believe are grounded. A portion of the house's electrical system was upgraded with Romex before we bought the house (not sure why they didn't do the whole house!!) and a new panel was installed. It appears that the Bx was grounded during this upgrade.

Old 04-02-04, 10:25 AM
phillyguy
Visiting Guest
I had a few sections of BX cable that had fraying like you see. I did end up replacing that. Older BX cable has the cloth insulation. The new stuff has the modern (PVC ?) insulation. As far as replacing goes you could use new BX. It's really expensive though and probably not necessary. You can just run romex in place of the BX but be sure to pigtail a ground as your likely dealing with metal boxes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: