broken breaker switch in panel

Old 04-02-04, 09:06 AM
beanie
Visiting Guest
Unhappy broken breaker switch in panel

I have an older mobile home that I use in the summer at the lake. Last time I switch the breakers on the panel box two of them lost any resistance and are really loose and won't turn back on. Is there a way that I can repair this?

Old 04-02-04, 09:17 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You cannot fix breakers. They need to be replaced.

Old 04-02-04, 09:25 AM
beanie
Visiting Guest
Is this an easy fix? could you explain what needs to be done. The only electrician lives several kms away and if it isn't major I'm hoping I can do the repair myself.

Old 04-02-04, 09:42 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing a breaker can be an easy job but it is also a dangerous one. If you have a panel with a main breaker turn it off and keep in mind the wire feeding the main breaker is hot.

Steps:

First determine the size and type of breaker you need. The size will be marked on the breaker and the type will be determined by the brand of panel you have. Make sure the amp rating on the new breaker is the same (not higher) as the old breaker.

Turn off main breaker at the panel or a disconnect before the panel.
Remove panel cover
locate breaker that needs changed. It will have one or two black or red wires running to it depending on if it is 110 or 220.

Remove the wire by lossing the set screw on the breaker.

Unplug the old breaker and remove. If you are not sure how to do this ask someone at the store where you buy your new breakers for a demo.

Install the new breaker
Put the black or red feeds into the new breaker and tighten the set screw. If wire is anything but copper look for more instructions on dealing with the type of wire you have.

Put the cover back on turn the main back on
Switch the new breaker on and test.

It is not hard but does require panel work and is not the best first electrical project but can be done with the right amout of patience, respect and care.

Good Luck

Old 04-14-04, 11:06 AM
beanie
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thanks for your help on the breaker switch. I opened the box and found there was one that was not being used so I switched them until I can find a new one. The box is fairly old and they are not readily available. Thanks again

Old 04-14-04, 12:55 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I hope the breaker you moved it to has an amp rating no more than the one you moved it from. Otherwise, you created a fire hazard. Even if it did have the same amp rating, there are other conditions that might make this dangerous (such as when a multiwire circuit is involved).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: