Kitchen switch/outlet combo problem

Old 04-02-04, 02:24 PM
Stoppa10
Visiting Guest
Kitchen switch/outlet combo problem

I recently attempted to change out the switch that runs my disposal which is part of a switch/outlet combo near my kitchen sink. The switch would not work when in the on position unless it was sitting in the on position and then I pushed on it. I figured the switch itself was bad, thus the attempt at replacement.

When I got the strike plate off, I noticed that the wiring was a bit confusing. Maybe it's correct, but I want to make sure before I re-install.

There are three sets of cables entering the junction box. All of the white wires from each cable set were spliced together and attached to the plug outlet. All of the grounds were wrapped together and attached to the plug outlet. Two of the black wires were spliced together and attached to the plug outlet. The remaining black wire was attached to the disposal switch. There was one additional black wire attached between the switch and the outlet.

Is this something I should be concerned about? If I am using a 4 post oulet (plus ground) and a 2 post switch, Why do I need all of the splicing?

Thanks in advance for your assistance and for possibly keeping my house from burning down in the future if this needs to be addressed - HAHA!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-04, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The wiring sounds correct.

The splicing is necessary because you are not allowed to put more than one wire under a screw terminal.

What part of the wiring don't you understand?

Old 04-02-04, 02:31 PM
Stoppa10
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks for your help. I guess that I am just not experienced at all in wiring, so when I saw all of those splices I wanted to make sure everything was A-OK. I'll just install the new switch exactly the way the old ones were wired.

Thanks again.

Old 04-02-04, 04:35 PM
Received 74 Votes on 68 Posts
The wiring is correct. One cable is power in. One cable is power to your diposal. The other cbale must be power to another receptacle or the dishwasher.
The white wires are the neutral and don't get switched. The disposal, outging power line and the incoming line are spliced and connected to the receptacle.
Black is your power.
The incoming power is spliced to the receptacle, the outgoing power line and the switch. The remaining powerline to the disposal comes fromthe other switch terminal.