Basement electric

Old 04-02-04, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement electric

Gentlemen,
I am finishing a 30x 40 basement space in a house purchased from an electrician. I want to run a few outlets on each wall(just framed in metal stud), and convert flourescent tube lights to recessed lighting. There's a spiderweb of junction boxes everywhere in the ceiling. How can i figure out what is safe to run and from which box? When do I need to run a new junction box from the breaker box? My only electrical experience is running electric to a detached garage, and running 1 outlet to a basement corner "office". Please help an ignorant electrician to not start any fires.
Thanks,
Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-04, 07:43 PM
I recommend that you don't use any of that wiring in the ceiling. You are providing electrical supply for 1200 square feet. This is a significant project. It's no time to hack into existing circuits. You need all new circuits, somewhere between two and six of them I'd say. Somewhere nearer the high end of that range would be better.

Your plan of "a few outlets on each wall" is too imprecise. Make sure you learn what the electrical code is and conform to it. Any book on home wiring will explain what you need. In addition to a book like Black and Decker's Guide to Home Wiring, I also recommend you read "Wiring Simplified", since it lays out the codes you need in a compact format.

We can help with questions as you go along. Don't just make stuff up. Follow well-established wiring methods.

Old 04-03-04, 03:18 AM
I agree with John. You need new circuits for this room. That is plural for a reason.

It is one thing to add an extra outlet or a single light fixture to an existing circuit. It is quite another to add a whole new room off existing circuits. To properly use existing circuits means to know exactly what the load, or potential load on those circuits is. You would have to map out each and every junction box and circuit in the house. While I do recommend that you completely map out the circuits (so you know what breaker controls each and every outlet), that does not necessarily mean that you figure out each and every junction box. There are also certain circuits that you cannot tap into for the basement, such as bathroom and kitchen circuits.

Buy a book or two on wiring, plan at least two new circuits for the receptacles and one for the lights. Plan on more if you anticipate any highe current draws from the outlets. And of course if you plan on a bathroom that means a separate 20 amp circuit.

Old 04-03-04, 07:17 AM
Thanks guys

I appreciate the advice - Thanks - T