Price Question

Old 04-03-04, 08:52 AM
Price Question

I know this is a difficult question but i'm at a loss as to the pricing on Labor.

Here's the scenario. I did some new work in a basement that was being finished. It has 3 rooms (an office, den, and bath) This is what i did in each room.

Office: Roughed in 6 outlets & 2 hi-hat lights and ran a phone line. I completed the installation when the room was finished. I used 2 seperate feeds for the room and had to run new lines from the main panel.

Den: Roughed in 5 hi-hat lights and 6 outlets along with 2 cable lines and 2 phone lines. Installation was finished upon completion of room. I also ran 2 seperate lines from the main panel for the lights & outlets.

Bath: Roughed in 1 GFI outlet, 1 vanity light, 1 Hi-hat , and 1 exhaust fan. For this, i ran 2 seperate lines again from the main panel.

Small foyer: 3 hi-hats on (2) 3 way switches.

Unfinished laundry room: Tapped off an outlet and ran 14/2 to a switch controlling a light fixture.

So, to sum everything up, i installed 6 new circuits in the main panel to feed all the stuff, installed a total of 13 outlets (including the GFI), installed 11 hi-hat lights, 1 vanity light , and i exhaust fan. I also hooked up all the phone lines to a main junction and ran new wiring to 3 phone wall outlets. I also ran cable to 2 points from a splitter into 2 wall outlets.

What would be a rough estimate on "labor only" for this work? I had to deal with new work only throughout much of this installation. I don't want to beat the guy over the head but want to get paid also. Whats a fair price?

TIA - Dregg

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-04, 10:41 AM
pagerboy
Visiting Guest
What would you charge per hour? How long did it take.?

Old 04-03-04, 12:00 PM
If i knew that, i wouldn't be asking. I have no idea what i'd charge per hour and as far as how long it took me, not that long. I did it a lil' at a time (the job was around the corner)
I'm not in the field, i just do small stuff on the side to help out another contractor ( a buddy of mine) but i'm in a completely different profession.

He just asked me how much it'll cost because the customer is paying me, not my buddy.

Old 04-03-04, 07:31 PM
pagerboy
Visiting Guest
I figure you would need to know how long it took you to estimate how much to charge. At least $20 per hour plus materials.

Old 04-03-04, 08:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I can't really say for the electrical work, the most I do with electrical is putting in fixtures or switches/outlets, but I charge between $15-20 per drop on CATV and Phones - this usually includes the wire, but not the trim plates and connections.

It's really up to you, do you want to charge by the drop or by the hour or just say $500 is fair, etc.?

Everyone uses a different pricing matrix - some by the hour, others by the job, others by the hour. Everyone will have a different opinion, everyone will be right. In the end, it's your choice.

I'd say, since it's a one-time deal and (I'm guessing) you're not planning on "going into the business", I would say just figure your time at $15-20/hour and add 15-30% to the parts.

Good luck!

Old 04-04-04, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Dregg
but i'm in a completely different profession.
I hate to be the only cynic here but do you feel comfortable with doing electrical work if you not eve in the trade?

Some of your explanation sounds like you went way overkill, I assume because you didn't know the code.
Two circuits for a bath GFI, van light, fan, hi hat???

You are in NY? Many areas in NY require a license. Did you get this work inspected?

I'm sorry, but I see, and have to clean up, waaaay too much amateur work which is extremely sub-par. Usually it's the customer's fault as people are always trying to save money and the first place they start is by not hiring a professional. They're to expennnnsive.
Then they are the first to whine when the work need to be re-done.

Your work may be top notch, I can't tell from here. I have seen a few well done jobs by non-tradesmen. I have just seen this scenario far too many times.

Old 04-04-04, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Speedy Petey

I hate to be the only cynic here......
You aren't Speedy, my post was deleted by the higher-ups for some reason

Old 04-04-04, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Speedy Petey

I hate to be the only cynic here but do you feel comfortable with doing electrical work if you not eve in the trade?

Some of your explanation sounds like you went way overkill, I assume because you didn't know the code.
Two circuits for a bath GFI, van light, fan, hi hat???

You are in NY? Many areas in NY require a license. Did you get this work inspected?

I'm sorry, but I see, and have to clean up, waaaay too much amateur work which is extremely sub-par. Usually it's the customer's fault as people are always trying to save money and the first place they start is by not hiring a professional. They're to expennnnsive.
Then they are the first to whine when the work need to be re-done.

Your work may be top notch, I can't tell from here. I have seen a few well done jobs by non-tradesmen. I have just seen this scenario far too many times.
Well, being a licensed electrician yourself, i can see where you're going with your reply. To answer some of your questions, yes i do feel comfortable working with electric. If i ran into something that i felt was over my head, i wouldn't attempt it.
2. As for going overkill, you lost me there a bit. The Bath GFI is a seperate 20A with the protected load going to the hi-hat light over the shower. It may be overkill, but it's safe none the less.
3. Yes, i'm in NY
4. No, work wasn't inspected by a licensed inspector but was looked over by another electrician who said everything looked good.

As far as my work being "Sub-Par", i would hope not. I take pride in everything i do whether it's wiring, building a PC, rebuilding engines, framing, tiling, roofing, siding, or custom rod building for fishing. I've seen professionals do "sub-par" work so thats why i do most stuff myself. You don't have to be in the field in order to do good work.

I apoligize if i sound defensive but all i really wanted was a lil' help with pricing. How 'bout it Mr. Professional electrician, how much would you charge?

Old 04-05-04, 02:17 AM
noxx
Visiting Guest
I can't tell you how much I would charge to do the work, but I know that I've more than once volunteered my time for free to testify in small claims to bust guys like you.

If you aren't licensed, don't fool with other peoples property and safety. You want to tinker with your home, fine, the professionals who attend this board are here to be of what help we can. Taking it upon yourself to secure the safety of persons other than yourself, without the appropriate training and licensing, is frankly unconscionable.

You shouldn't be indignant, you should be ashamed.

Last edited by noxx; 04-05-04 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-05-04, 03:41 PM
I cannot tell you what I would charge for this, because I would not do the work.

While I might swap out an outlet or a switch for a friend, I would not do anything of this nature. In may cases doing work on someone else's residence requires a license. In all cases the person doing the work should carry liability insurance. I do not carry liability insurance for this type of work, I sure hope you do if you are doing this type of work.

Old 04-05-04, 06:24 PM
BuzzHazzard
Visiting Guest
I agree with the others here. I'm not a licensed electrician, but I have an EE degree and have always enjoyed the actual wiring work involved in residential construction. I spent six weeks wiring my own new home a year ago, and received compliments from both the electrician (who brought the power in from the street to the two 200A panels) and the inspector.

I frequented this very board often with questions on the finer points and was always amazed at the professional responses and encouragement I received.

And even with that background, I wouldn't do what you did. Too much at stake. I doubt you'll get many takers who will answer a question like yours.

Me included.

Buzz

Old 04-05-04, 06:29 PM
Dregg, I actually belive you when you say your work is not sub-par. Some of the clean up work I do is after other "electricians".

4. No, work wasn't inspected by a licensed inspector but was looked over by another electrician who said everything looked good.
That don't cut it when you are working for someone else for money! In your own home is another story.

The overkill part was the fact that you can put all the items in the bath on one 20 amp circuit. Two 20 amp circuits for the four items you have is way overkill.

I hope you never have to jusitfy your actions in a court of law. It is not worth the few dollars you're making if you do.

Old 04-05-04, 06:41 PM
BuzzHazzard
Visiting Guest
On another note...

Do you know why a good electrician and divorce are so expensive?

Because they're worth it.

Old 04-05-04, 09:14 PM
Ok fellas, thanks for the replies. You all have made good points and my intent wasn't to underscore you fellas who do this for a living. Valid points were made and noted.
Have a nice day.

Old 04-05-04, 09:51 PM
scrapiron
Visiting Guest
Around here most of the licensed electricians and the building inspectors accept the fact that there is alot of work done by unlicensed tradesmen. Many of these guys are working, trying to get the years of experience and school required for a license, while serving people that cannot or don't want to pay the fees often required by a lic. electrician to change a light fixture or replace a receptacle, if he will come at all for such a small job. I respect the question of liability, however, in this day and time being licensed hardly prevents one from being sued and may in fact add to your problems. I do believe that most of the people on this forum are interested in doing a good job or they wouldn't be here.
Recently, a good friend (licensed electrician/plumber) asked me to recommend a local garage to work on his service truck. He complained that the dealer (certified) was too expensive and that he" just needed to have the brakes fixed". I guess it just depends which side of the dollar you're on.

Old 04-06-04, 07:02 AM
BuzzHazzard
Visiting Guest
Scrapiron,

I understand where you're coming from, but depending on the jurisdiction, the discussion is not one of "Should I/ Can I," but "Is it against the law?"

I've never heard of anyone being arrested/prosecuted for doing a brake job while not in the employ of an auto dealer. It is, however, against the law in many places to work on other peoples wiring (or maybe even your own) much less charge to do it.

Cheers,

Buzz

Old 04-06-04, 08:39 AM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
Re: Price Question

Originally posted by Dregg

Unfinished laundry room: Tapped off an outlet and ran 14/2 to a switch controlling a light fixture.
Hopefully you don't mean you tapped off the required 20 amp laundry receptacle outlet?

Old 04-06-04, 11:16 AM
Re: Re: Price Question

Originally posted by hotarc

Hopefully you don't mean you tapped off the required 20 amp laundry receptacle outlet?
Negative, that outlet was left alone. There were a few others for lights and things of that nature and i just pulled power from one of them where the overhead light was plugged into. The light is now controlled by a switch. Thanks for your concerns though.

Old 04-06-04, 12:55 PM
I respect everybody's opinions, and all of you had good points, but there is one little problem. The original poster asked how much should he charge for the work already done. The key word being already. Most of the discussion centers around whether the poster should or shouldn't have done the work. While important, I think it's a mute point right now as the work is already completed.

I do understand and recognize the importance of licenced people doing the work, but that doesn't stop most people from doing the work anyway. Just because speeding is illegal doesn't mean people don't do it. I always ask myself a simple question: if somebody asks me an electrical question, and I know that they will do the work either way, is it better for me to just say I can't answer, or should I answer it with a warning. I think its better to try to teach the "amateur" that he shouldn't be doing the work, and if he does bad things may happen, but if he insists, this is the correct and safe way to do it.

I am a licenced electrician, and a EE. The scary part is not that the people that post here want to do some of the work without knowing what they are doing, but the fact that most people that don't know what they're doing never ask anybody or rely on the "professional" advice of HD and Menard "pros". At least somebody that posts here wants to do it right. Most people don't care. I've seen some electrical work yesterday that made me look for the closest exit door. And this was work done by my neighboor, who knew I'm an electrician, but yet never asked me one single question on how to do it right. These are the "scarry" people.